Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drones..  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
drones..
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »
Do Drones die immediately or can they fly back to the hive before dying. I have lots of Drones and found a few dead ones by the hive...it just may have been their time but wondered if they could make it back...and if they can...what would I look for to see if they had bred a Queen.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
Re: drones..
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:00:57 pm »
I read they just smoke a cigarette, fall back and smile all the way to the ground ;)

Dan

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »
Bummer.....didn't see any cigarette ashes...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »
Sometimes they make it back home first.

"I have no doubt that the drones perish when they lose their sexual organs after mating.  While reflecting one day upon the discovery which is the subject of this letter and upon the impossibility of witnessing a mating which takes place in the air, it seemed to us that one could add another proof to those that we had, if one could find the male which had fecundated one of our queens and catch him on his return; but we could hope for this only in case he did not die suddenly after mating, and if he had time to return to the hive.

"Burnens thought that it would be easy to distinguish such a male from those that die without having mated and without having suffered any mutilation.  So he condemned himself to examine, one after another, all the drones that he would find dead near the hives during the swarming season.

"After long and useless researches, he found a few that had died in front of the hives and were evidently mutilated, for they had lost those of the genital parts that remain within the body of the queens.  The root of the male organ had protruded out of their body after mating, a piece of this canal ten or twelve lines long (7/8ths in. to one in. or 21 to 25 mm) was hanging at the extremity of their belly and had dried there.  None of the parts which pressure may force out showed itself in that case.

"These observations, made with greatest care, confirmed the conjecture which I had already stated, that is:  that no other part than the male organ and its appendages extrudes from the body of the male during mating.  They proved also that the males perish after having lost their sexual parts, and that their death is not as prompt as one might have expected.

"By coming back to die at the front of the hive, they bring back, as the queen does, the evidence of their union and of a long unknown fact."--Francis Huber, New Observations Upon Bees, Vol I, 2nd Letter
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:46:40 pm by Michael Bush »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 03:10:17 pm »
I'll be checking all the Drones I can find on the tiles under the hive....with a magnifying glass....