Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plantain weed, not plantain (banana)  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Plantain weed, not plantain (banana)
« on: March 25, 2007, 10:24:22 am »
There has been some discussion about the use of the plantain weed for alleviating the symptoms of bee stings, insect bites, etc.  Below is a very cool site on the use of plantain that might be rather interesting to some.  Best of a beautiful day, Cindi

http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/placom43.html#med
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Plantain weed, not plantain (banana)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 02:45:39 pm »
all the time that MB was talking about it, i thought it was strange that he wanted us all to carry bananas around with us.  he said the stuff grew around his house, and i thought "good for him, it doesn't grow around my house"! 

in fact, the weed grows all over the place.  i have lots of it  :-)

good site.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 02:52:55 pm »
He keeps saying it grows everywhere. But I don't see anything around here that looks like the pictures I've seen of the stuff.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:17:22 pm »
apparently there are two types.  the better type is the broad leaf.  i have the narrow leaf, but i think i have seen the other somewhere around here.  i have spent many hours trying to kill the stuff in my pastures :-)

i found the pictures by doing a google image search using the words PLANTAIN and WEED.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:10:41 am »
Kathy, right, we have the broad leaf stuff growing in our lawns, the sword leaf type grows in the gardens.  It is a nasty to try to get rid of for sure.  Sometimes on a summer day when I am doing nothing, well, that is rarely, but I will sit with a little knife in my hands and clear out the broadleaf on my lawn by hand.  Now my lawn is so big it would take years to do it this way, but I can get the "patches" of plantain a little less dense and the grass sure grows nicer.  It is a relaxing thing to do, I find the oddest things relaxing.  I grab the leaves and make them into a bunch in my hand and then pry out the root, it does a pretty darn good job of removal and boy does the grass appreciate this little bit of help.  Have the best day, Cindi.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:52:35 pm »
I post pictures of it all the time for you guys.  Apparently no one looks.  The first time you crush some and put it on a sting, you will know nothing else comes close.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 10:30:08 am »
I post pictures of it all the time for you guys.  Apparently no one looks.  The first time you crush some and put it on a sting, you will know nothing else comes close.

Michael, I haven't ever seen any pictures that you post all the time, and I look at all the pictures I can.  Where are they?  Best of a great day, Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:21:15 am »
Notwithstanding previous posts from MB, which included some pics, I found this site to be useful. I finally know what this weed looks like. It looks a lot smaller in my area. Good pictures.

http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/broadleaf_plantain_7/
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 01:23:38 am »
Yes Michael I have seen your pictures, I just can't find anything around here that looks like it. The closest thing is dandelions.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 09:16:10 am »
Here's a thread that includes one of Michael's pictures:

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=5497.0

Linda T

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 10:21:48 am »
OK.  To be specific, I NEVER post pictures of ANYTHING.  I post LINKS to pictures.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything