Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Alabama  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Galdron

• New Bee
Hello from Alabama
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:58:18 pm »
Hello,
I am new to the forum.  I have two bee yards, one in my backyard for queens rearing and the other on 61 Acres.  I pay my rent on the land with 10% honey from the hives.  I have mostly Langstrom Hives, but I do also have a couple of Top Bar Hives as well.  The girls seem to be doing fine this winter.  We had a weekend of nice weather last weekend and it got over 50 degrees.  The girls were making cleansing flights and just hanging out enjoying the weather so I have not opened the up for inspection yet.  I try not to open up the hives until spring to keep all the propolis sealed around the boxes and tops.  I would like to expand into pollination services in a couple if years and I am trying to get setup for that.

This year I purchased a flat bed truck for hauling my little girls around and will be looking for some new sites for placing the girls.  I have found the cheapest way to get a good beekeeping truck is to purchase an M35A2C from the Military.  These trucks are 6x6 brutes and will run on used motor oil, used vegetable oil, diesel, gasoline, aviation fuel or pretty much else anything that burns.  They can go anywhere having 10 tires and can be registered as farm trucks.

We averaged about 85lbs of Honey per hive last year and that was a pretty respectable year for me.  I am very careful to keep plenty in the hive during the winter and expect a small excess harvest right at the start of spring to make room.

Thanks for reading,
Paul

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:01:43 pm »
Welcome to the site.   Where in Al are you located?   And that truck sounds cool.  I am going to do a search now for it.   I have maybe 50 gallons a used oil I need to get rid of.  There just ain't as many people burning stumps now days as they use to for the old oil.

Offline Galdron

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »
I'm in Alabaster it's south of Birmingham off 65.  I will post some pictures when I have access to post them.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:57:36 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline gwalker314

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:27:40 pm »
Hello Neighbor, I am in McCalla. Welcome

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:03:58 pm »
Welcome. Good to see another one from the best state in the union. My location is Georgia but I'm an alabamian to the core. Grew up just west of Bessemer.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline John Adams

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 10:50:23 am »
welcome to the forum. I'm just south of you in Prattville. 50/50 used motor oil and diesel burns real nice in my 94 dodge...i don't have to carry a smoker... :-D