Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees swarming out of a trap out - video  (Read 3917 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
bees swarming out of a trap out - video
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:12:06 pm »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpsukaudWM[/youtube]

OK this is as much to see if I can embed the youtube video as anything.  That really probably isn't a swarm absconding from the trap out - I don't know what it is for sure other than a lot of bees exiting all at once from my (then) 4 week old trap out.  Could be a bulk orientation event.  I'm too green to know for sure.  Hundreds of bees flew out in just a few minutes though.

If you don't see anything it means that either I don't know how to embed the video or I don't have enough seniority to do so.  In which case sorry for the spam.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: bees swarming out of a trap out - video
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:31:45 pm »
I see a little wash boarding and perhaps some orientating flights.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »
Did you set your bait hive up with a frame of eggs and larvae, if so it could be the new bees coming out for orientation.

I did not see any bees exiting from the screen cone, but did see one go back in. Watch close it is right about the middle of the vid.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:40:20 pm »
Did you set your bait hive up with a frame of eggs and larvae, if so it could be the new bees coming out for orientation.

I did not see any bees exiting from the screen cone, but did see one go back in. Watch close it is right about the middle of the vid.

G3

I actually did set it up just like that.  However on the day I took the video I saw a bunch of bees exit the cone all at once (there had only been a trickle for a few weeks) so much so that there was a jam at the tip.  By the time that I deployed the camera that was all over except for the orientation flights or whatever you see there. So, I thought that was the queen and her few remaining retainers getting the heck out of Dodge.  During the course of the trap out I did observe the occasional lucky (or smart?) bee that flew straight into the cone.

It turns out that after I removed the cone and saw the bait hive busily robbing the original hive and determined that the trap out was finished - I was wrong.

A week after removing the bait hive they were going back and forth like nothing had happened.  So, I get another shot at it in the spring if they make it through the winter.

Since I'm doing it for the experience the home owner isn't upset.  They want rid of the bees, and are willing to wait.

So, for now my trap out was a failure - although I did get a nice small hive of bees out of it - but if I can at all I'm gonna get those bees out of there for the home owner. 

It's been a learning experience.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:28:12 am »
David, good on you.  You are going to try again, that is what life is all about, try, try and try again, good show.  That was pretty cool that you got the video to show up in the post.  Interesting stuff, and good luck next year, you will make it, I know.  Have that wonderful and most great day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 11:51:40 am »
David, good on you.  You are going to try again, that is what life is all about, try, try and try again, good show.  That was pretty cool that you got the video to show up in the post.  Interesting stuff, and good luck next year, you will make it, I know.  Have that wonderful and most great day, health.  Cindi

Thanks Cindi.  You are the only person to even mention the embedded video.  In case anyone is interested you have to enter the youtube tags manually like this:

Code: [Select]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpsukaudWM[/youtube]
But of course with the URL to the youtube video that you want to embed.  Don't use the you tube embed code, use the URL that is supplied on the YouTube video page in the code box.  You can quote a post that already has an embedded video to see what I mean - which is how I figured it out.

By the way.  If you open your videos with Picasa free photo editing and viewing software from Google it is childishly easy to upload your videos to YouTube.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 11:58:48 am »
David, you're welcome.  By the way, thank you very much for giving these instructions on how to embed the u-tube thing into a post.  Personally, I think that this is invaluable information and I have copied and pasted your instructions now into a word document for my own personal use (should I ever want to put a video onto our forum for our friends to watch, I do have many little things that would be of high interest for people to look at, maybe one fine day I will get onto that task).  Thanks, for taking that time, a wonderful thing.  Heading off to the wild blue yonder to let our my chickens and ducks that I am sure are breaking down the door by now to get let out, I am one half hour late, smiling.  Have that most beautiful, most awesome day and life, to love with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service