Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoker fuel  (Read 11350 times)

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
Smoker fuel
« on: June 12, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »
I know this has been hashed out and many use a variety of things at hand. However, I need something I can buy cheap that is a decent smoker fuel. When I started out, I got some dadant fuel in my kit, which was great, but expensive. I tries a bag of cypress mulch from Homedepot but it does not want to stay lit.

Does anyone buy anything in bulk that is readily available and works as a good fuel?

Thanks

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
Re: Smoker fuel
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:32:03 pm »
Burlap is the best I've found so far, but dried grass and leaves do in a pinch.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:42:28 pm »
I like sumac berries for a really long burn.  I also use ceder chips (animal bedding).  They burn fast but light easy

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 04:06:02 pm »
Burlap is the best I've found so far, but dried grass and leaves do in a pinch.

I have heard burlap is good, but where can you buy it?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:10:14 pm »
my beekeeping supply place sells it, but i got a batch of burlap coffee bags from the military surplus place.  they are big and heavy duty. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:16:30 pm »
In Ohio the bridge const co's are a good FREE supply.  They are required by the state to cover the cement with burlap for a couple of days.  Afterwards they just throw it out.  It is not that dirty and I cut to the size I want.  I have probably received about a p/u load in the last two years :-D!

Offline peacekeeperapiaries

• New Bee
  • New to the site, not new to bees
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:32:05 pm »
I use hay or pine needles, a small bale of hay from the feed store kept dry lasts a long, long time.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »
You can buy burlap at home depot as well, I am a burlap person.....tried some compressed cotton I got from somewhere today but I don't like the way the smoke smells....has a chemical smell to it. I need to find some coffee bean bags again.....better, thicker brulap than HD's.

Offline AGM

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:20:13 pm »
I second the pine needles.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 05:38:06 pm »
I third the pine needles - I buy a bale and keep it in the carport so it's always dry and available.  Works great with nice cool smoke.

Linda T who can finally in year four light a smoker every time!!!!!!!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 05:46:23 pm »
I use a combination of burlap bags (coffee bean bags that we get that has fabricated pipe in it), and the bark off of cedar trees that have been cut for a little while (fence post). the burlap lights quick and easy and the cedar bark will smolder for a long time.

In a pinch......hay, dead grass, pine needles, sisal baling twine, anything natural just look around.

When I had some really hot bees I would go to the barn and get some left over tabbacco leaves and add that also, seemed to work really well for calming them down a notch or two.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 05:54:14 pm »
I third the pine needles - I buy a bale and keep it in the carport so it's always dry and available.  Works great with nice cool smoke.

Linda

Where do you purchase a bale of pine needles??  Never heard of this. I have just started to burn pine needles, but I have to have my friend at work bring in bags of it from her yard.

I just love using the smoker since I went from burning burlap to burning pine needles.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 05:58:58 pm »

you are doing well.  mine usually lites, but requires massive verbal stimulation to keep going.   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
If you can get the real kind of baling twine, it makes a good smoker fuel also.  I wrap a bunch of it around my hand then tie it into a knot.  Light 1 or more of the loose loops and the knot will smolder for a long time.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 06:48:32 pm »
annette, we can buy bales of pine needles, like a square bale of hay, hey use it for a decorative mulch in flower beds and around trees. Look at some of the landscaping places or even home depot or lowes might have it. I just pick it up off of the ground.

Good luck on finding it.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 06:55:11 pm »
annette, we can buy bales of pine needles, like a square bale of hay, hey use it for a decorative mulch in flower beds and around trees. Look at some of the landscaping places or even home depot or lowes might have it. I just pick it up off of the ground.

Good luck on finding it.

G3

Thanks for the info. I do get it from my friend from work, but I like to be independent if possible.  I will check it out, thanks again

Annette

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 07:18:52 pm »
I pick up twigs out of my yard. I like to use pecan because it smells good to me. I like the campfire smell.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 07:43:25 pm »
pellet stove fuel works, a bit hard to light but it stays lit once you do.  Plus at under 6 bucks for a 50lb bag that'll last a whole season it's not too expensive a proposition.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 08:53:36 pm »

I use cedar shavings, the dog kennel kinda stuff. I can not stand the smell of burlap burning, acrid and nasty. The cedar smells great and is so much cheaper than buying burlap. Wally world has is for about $6.50 for a big ol bail.

David

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 09:19:47 pm »
I like sumac berries for a really long burn.  I also use ceder chips (animal bedding).  They burn fast but light easy

Stag Horn Sumac & pine needles & dry rotten wood put green grass on top to cool the smoke.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/