Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Keeping honey runny  (Read 4203 times)

Offline wayseer

• House Bee
    • Beaver Rock
Keeping honey runny
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:54:46 pm »
Just wonder how others go about keeping their bulk honey from becoming candied.
www.beaverrox.blogspot.com/

Life is a river somewhere

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Keeping honey runny
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:52:03 am »
I don't know any other way except to heat it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:28:30 pm »
I think heating is the only way to liquify? crytalized honey.  There are large metal bands that you can purchase and can be wrapped around a 5 gallon bucket to heat it up.  But per M. Bush (in an earlier post), you can put it in your car on a warm sunny day.  Just monitor it so you don't get it too hot.
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 02:28:04 pm »
To prevent crystallization freeze it, I find that this works best, it won't crystallize when frozen.  This is tricky when you have 50 gallons, but I usually will freeze all that I bottle in a batch.  The honey doesn't actually freeze due to the high specific gravity, and it doesn't change the honey at all to freeze it.

Or keep it warmer, but long term this isn't so practical either.

Rick
Rick

Offline wayseer

• House Bee
    • Beaver Rock
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:11:24 pm »
OK - I'll try to be more specific.

I have honey in a 35 KG plastic container with homey gate from which I generally fill my smaller jars and pails.  The honey in this container is crystallised and makes pouring almost impossible.  In Queensland where the weather is generally warm to hot there is no problem except at this time of year - mid winter for us Aussies. 

I can heat smaller containers in a pan of water on the stove but the 35 kg bucket is a little big for that.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:14:48 pm »
thermostatically controlled heat tape?
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:52:51 pm »
 Hey Wayseer, That made me think for a minute :)..I was trying to figure out what a "Homey Gate" was :-D
I had "Visions" of Homeys 8-) :mrgreen:
 At any rate, I was thinking about what Eri said about the heat tape...You might have to kinda rock the drum around every now and then.
good luck!
your friend,
john

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:05:15 pm »
I have a spare refrigerator that I have a 100watt light bulb on a thermostat.  I just turn it on the day before I want to bottle. 

I use the square 5 gallon jugs with honey gate.  I leave them standing up in the refrigerator,  and then just lay them down on the rack to bottle.  The shelves in the door come in handy for setting bottles and caps too :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:15:23 pm »
You can also insulate the inside of a cardboard box the size you want and heat w/ a light bulb as Robo mentioned above. Of course my English measurements aren't good and not sure of 35 kg (size) unless I plugged and chugged @ the conversion :-D ;)!
John 3:16

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:02:45 am »
Of course my English measurements aren't good and not sure of 35 kg (size) unless I plugged and chugged @ the conversion :-D ;)!

It about 77 lbs. 

In case you didn't know it, Google has a built in calculator/converter.  Simply type "35 kg in pounds" in the search bar.  I use it all the time, even works for the more obscure units of measurement.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 05:15:56 pm »
I put it in the jars I want it in and let it crystallize.  If it's already started I put it in the window to keep it cooler and speed it up.  The consumer can either use it as "candied" (which is what I recommend) or heat it to reliquify it.  Either way I don't mess up the flavor.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wayseer

• House Bee
    • Beaver Rock
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:54:00 am »
Thanks everyone - I have gained some ideas.   I like the heat tape concept - now to find where I might buy some.

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 04:27:34 pm »
ROBO    what happens if you Google a "skosh"   or a "smidgin"   or a   "pinch"    Are these a "tad"  too obscure??
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:18 pm »
Not to distract from topic.firefox has an add on called Converter 0.7.0 With this add on you can highlight a metric measurement,right click what you highlighted ,and it gives cm to inch,celsius to fahrenheit,cm to inches etc.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:32:46 am by buzzbee »

Offline budhanes

• New Bee
    • Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:25:29 am »
Thanks everyone - I have gained some ideas.   I like the heat tape concept - now to find where I might buy some.

At the hardware store. They are used to wrap around water pipes in cold areas to keep them from freezing. Heres a link:

Heat tapes

You might need to "modify" the built in thermostat which should be set to come on at 30 degrees or lower...