Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member - Alberta Canada  (Read 2200 times)

Offline rosses

• Brood
New Member - Alberta Canada
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:16:19 pm »
Hi all,

Just completed a Beekeeping course, and am deciding between Langstroth and a Golden Mean TBH. I will be a low volume hobbyist, no more than 2 colonies for a while. If I go Langstroth, I will eventually go foundationless, for crush and strain. I'm thinking foundationless Lang gives me access to all those standardized resources....

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: New Member - Alberta Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:52:00 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster!

Starting two Langs and two WAM TBHs here this spring... 

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:18:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  :happy:
Ask any bee questions you like.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Sumerduck

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 12:52:51 pm »
Welcome.  New Beekeeper myself.

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:09:42 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, rosses.

Langstroth hives are a very good choice to get started with.  Frames with foundation would be better to start than foundationless mostly because, unless the empty foundationless frame is between two fully drawn frames, the bees are just a likely to draw out the wildest mess you ever saw as they are to draw what you might be expecting them to. 

Some do crush and strain with plastic foundation.  A little more work but just requires shearing the honeycomb with something like a putty knife.  A little comb left on the frame will give quickly give the bees ideas when you put the frame back in the hive.  Don't forget that it takes more resources to draw comb than it does to fill it with honey.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:46:59 pm by DMLinton »
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:36:52 pm »
You'll need to get you some of those round things, too...

Offline rosses

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 02:27:47 am »
Decided on 8 frame medium Langs, foundationless. A local maker makes beautiful hives, with a quilt box, top entrance and peaked lids, screen base with slide in inserts. Ordered 2 hives, total 10 medium boxes, since I'm not very handy with making things myself.

Fingers crossed for a BC nuc from a community club. No guarantee I'll get one. I could order a package from a commercial supplier, but I'd rather Canadian bees and queen than New Zealand.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:24:44 pm »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:21:19 pm »
I have been interested in the Golden Mean TBH for a long time but somehow haven't made the jump to it.  I do foundationless 10 frame all medium supers.  Crush and Strain.  It has worked out well for me.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »
If you are building your own, I'd go 15" longer than the 33" golden mean.  If you like it (and can live with changing the proportions after which it is named) then add 15" to the length and it will make a very nice hive.  At 33" it's not a bad hive but a little cramped.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 03:25:19 pm »
Thats good info Michael because I have gotten pretty close to ordering this hive many times.
Thanks

anything