Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: YOU KNOW YOUR A BEEKEEPER WHEN...  (Read 7893 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
YOU KNOW YOUR A BEEKEEPER WHEN...
« on: December 31, 2004, 11:08:57 pm »
You know you're a beekeeper when...

By John Caldeira, with contributions from many others.

The windshield of your vehicle has at least two yellow dots on it.

You have answers ready for questions about Africanized bees and the value of local honey in preventing allergies.

Year eagerly await the phone call from the post office asking you to please come pick up your bees.

You check out all the honey labels and prices at the supermarket.

You've gone through the supermarket checkout line buying nothing more than a big load of sugar, and maybe some Crisco.

You've estimated just how much money you spent to control mites.

You pick up matches at restaurants, even though you don't smoke.

Your friends and neighbors think you are the answer to every swarm and bees-in-the-wall problem.

You are keenly aware of the first and last freezes of each winter.

There is propolis on the steering wheel of your vehicle and the bottom of your boots.

There is a bucket of something in your garage that can only be good for smoker fuel.

You are called "the Bee Man," or "the Bee Lady" by a lot of people who don't know your name.

You know the bloom period of more local flowers than the state horticulturist.

You welcome a rainy weekend if it will stimulate nectar production.

You don't mind driving home with a few honey bees inside your vehicle.

Your family and friends know exactly what they're going to get for Christmas.

You don't mow the lawn because the bees are working the weeds.

You drive down a road and find yourself evaluating the roadside flowers for their honey-producing potential.

You pull over and check the bees on the wildflowers just to see if they are YOUR bees, AND -- you can tell the difference.

You come home smelling like a camp fire, and you haven't been camping.

You saw Ulee's Gold and didn't think there were enough shots of the bees.

You overhear your 9 year old daughter explaining to her friends how to tie a trucker's hitch.

The school principal calls to ask that you never again let your child take a drone tied with a thread to school for show and tell.

You never stop marveling at these wonderful creatures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpts from the above list were published in American Bee Journal (December, 1998), which prompted the following responses from readers:

You know you're married to a beekeeper when...

You spend at least one day a week on your hands and knees with a sharp knife scraping wax and propolis off your kitchen floor.

You've ever used bee boxes as furniture in your house, for coffee tables, chairs, night stands, and storage boxes.

You mow around mountains of bee equipment that never seems to make it to the barn.

You plan weddings, child birth, surgery and funerals around honey extracting time.

When buying a new truck, your spouse checks weight loads and measures the bed to see how many hives he can fit in it.

You get stung by the bee that was clinging to your husband's bee suit when you picked it up to wash it.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 07:29:28 am »
You wonder why the biggest bags of sugar in the supermarket are only 10lbs.

Comercially produced honey just doesn't cut it anymore.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 01:22:01 pm »
Your found laying in the grass/dirt a lot with a magnifying glass in one hand and a camera in the other. Yup has happened to me.

Incourage the dandelions to grow in your lawn, and golden rob in the ditch bank.

You watch which plants the bees like beest when you visit the garden center, keeping notes as to the month and time. Yup been there done that.

:D Al

Offline eye388

• New Bee
Award
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 11:48:11 am »
Quote from: Guest
Your found laying in the grass/dirt a lot with a magnifying glass in one hand and a camera in the other.

:(! You should definatly be given smoething for that.   :X

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 02:06:47 am »
My mom bought 50 pounds of sugar the other day, 25 for candies for the holidays and 25 for the bees, lol, she said they need sweets for the holidays too, lol. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 05:27:35 am »
My wife bought a #50 bag of sugar and a #10 bag at Sam's.  When we verified the receipt at home we found the ten pound was $4.00 overall less expensive than the fifty.  I guess it pays to pay attention.

Kinda like milk at .98 a quart vs 4.00 a gallon.  Which ya gonna buy?

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 08:11:14 am »
As I've fed the hives and built more sugar boards this fall, we've been buying 10# bags at the local supermarket in 10 bag lots.  Finally, on the third run in as many weeks, the cashier commented, "you guys use a lot of sugar!"  Which opened the door for a short explanation of the bee "livestock" and wintering them over.  Dunno what she thought, but she certainly looked wary!

-- Kris

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 03:04:31 am »
Probably thinking...There's nothing like a little sour mash to take away the winter chill!   LOL!!!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 08:50:00 am »
I often get "you guys must do a lot of baking" or "do you make a lot of candy?"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 02:01:26 am »
Down here in the south, they just assume you are making moonshine....
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 01:08:34 am »
You know you're a beekeeper when...

You'll extoll the merit of American honey vs imported at the slightest provocation; such as at a friend's house, when innocently offerred a Little Debbie "Honey Roll".
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline Denise

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 12:46:30 pm »
I find myself speaking up when someone says they were stung by a "bee". 99% of the time it was a Yellow Jacket or hornet.

The one about letting the weeds grow is totally true! I did that this year. I let the yellow weed and dandelions grow because the girls were working them. I didn't care that it looked scroungy. As well as the stuff that grows in the ditch along the road. I just let it go.
"I saw me life pass before me eyes. It was really boring." - Babs, Chicken Run

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 12:04:48 am »
yup and it saves on gas also, dont mow my yard near as much as use to  and in the spring it seems I might have to bushhog my front yard because it is full of dandylions  :lol:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
Re: YOU KNOW YOUR A BEEKEEPER WHEN...
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 02:45:01 pm »
very funny! :lol:
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Mici

• Super Bee