Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rabbeted? Dovetailed?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Rabbeted? Dovetailed?
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:45:33 pm »
I am looking to buy some 8 frame shallow supers from Brushy Mountain...I know what dovetailed is, but what is rabetted?

Thanks Bunches

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
Re: Rabbeted? Dovetailed?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 12:17:23 am »
The rabbeted corner is a much simpler joint than the dovetail or the box joint. A smell corner is taken off the end piece to recieve the side. You might be able to see it when looking at the picture.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 08:17:52 am »
This is a rabbet joint.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:25:09 am »
Excellent, thank you so much...

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 02:32:24 pm »
Judging by the photos on the website, the joints BrushyMountain calls dovetail, are not dovetails at all.  They are Box Joints. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 08:02:18 pm »
For reasons unknown to me, box joints are often called dovetails in beekeeping.  A dovetail, of course, is technically a different kind of a joint altogether.

The both work nicely, IMO the biggest advantage to the rabbet is less exposed grain.  The biggest advantage to the box joint is that it is more difficult (but not impossible) to put it together wrong.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MikeG

• House Bee
  • BAN THE DEEPS
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 08:57:48 pm »
Robo,

The picture you have of a rabbeted joint may be correct, but it is not the joint that Brushy Mountain uses on their rabbetted hives.

If your photo is a rabbett joint (which I'm sure it is), then I would call Brushy Mt's joint a "double rabbet".  Their joint is more complex, and much stronger than the joint you have pictured.

Mike

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 09:16:09 pm »
If your photo is a rabbett joint (which I'm sure it is), then I would call Brushy Mt's joint a "double rabbet".  Their joint is more complex, and much stronger than the joint you have pictured.

I can't get a good look at the joint from their website.  Gotta love it when the "enlarge" picture isn't much bigger than a thumbnail :roll:.  But if I remember back when I use to get their catalog,  I think their joint was similar to a drawer lock joint.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BBHJ

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:27:37 pm »
Robo, I like the looks of that kind of joint. Seems to me that it would be stronger than a rabbet joint & with less exposed end wood than box, dovetail, or butt joints. I'll be looking into these boxes/ joints more when I get ready for more boxes. Thanx for the pics.     

Offline MikeG

• House Bee
  • BAN THE DEEPS
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 10:34:41 pm »
That's it, Robo.

Only difference is that the "angled" (looks like 30 or 45 degree) inside edge on your "drawer front" is straight.

Both of my hives are Brushy Mountain "rabbetted" hives.  They seem very good.  I prefer the "looks" of the dovetailed hives only because they are traditional.  And since this is only a hobby for me, the traditional looks are somewhat important.

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 11:12:56 pm »
Double Rabbet

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 12:36:19 am »
I actually have some older Brushy Mt boxes that have joints similar to Robo's depiction ( a locked rabbet drawer joint) though there is no bevelled cut in mine. But my more recent purchases from them are made with simple single rabbet joints. They used to offer a "dove tailed" type (maybe they still do) but it looked more like box joints in the catalogue.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 06:37:52 am »
their dovetailed is definetly box joints.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 10:28:55 am »
Where in God's name is Indian Valley? Seriously, there are 3 or 4 guys on this forum from VA and everyone single one of you lives in a place I have never heard of - despite the fact that I was born in VA, much of my family lives there and that I have travelled as widely there as any state in the country. Except for the chap from Mineral - I DO know where Mineral is.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 11:16:12 am »
HA!!!!! Floyd County....ummm...60 miles south of Roanoke. In the mountains.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=Indian+Valley&state=VA&zipcode=

if you zoom out from there it will give you a better idea where it is.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 11:21:38 am »
Chickenwing.  The picture that you posted called the "double rabbet" is exactly how all my hive parts are made.  They are so simple to put together.  Actually, one assembled, one could almost use nothing else to hold them together.  Now that would be a rather stupid thing to do, but I find the double rabbet is such a great way to ensure good fitting box sides.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service