Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Downside??  (Read 2827 times)

Offline LHoganson

• Brood
The Downside??
« on: March 17, 2005, 05:10:44 pm »
I'm a beginner.

What are the parts I don't know . . . like will bees be a problem to my dogs, cats and goats???

Yellow jackets are here in abundance . . .  are they a predator to bees or by chance will bees discourage them????

Suggestions to a new comer??

Linda

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
The Downside??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:54:28 pm »
I haven't found any downsides to bees. Once my cat stuck her paw inside the hive and got stung --- she won't go near the hive now.

I wouldn't personally want the hives in the same pen with goats. They might knock them over or climb on them. :)

Bees like swimming pools. If you have one, they can be slightly annoying to at the pool.

Bees are not really aggresive... as in chasing down every living creature. :)

That's all I can think of.
Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
The Downside??
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 07:17:34 pm »
Yellow jackets are not a good thing to have around. bye :)
Ryan Horn

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
The Downside??
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 04:19:50 am »
Most dogs run up to a hive the first time they see it, shove their nose right in the enterance and after snorting a couple of lung fulls of air in about 10 guard bees rush out, dog gets a sting or two on the nose, yelps, runs off and wipes ther nose on the grass to dislodge the stings, and never goes near the hives again.

Only happens once, and then the dog has a healthy respect for the hive.

Adam

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
The Downside??
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 06:02:07 am »
That's exactly what my dog did! But he didn't get stung. The girls were still tired from the move to their new home. Now, however, he gives them some birth, or at least, isn't interested anymore. I think he's gotten stung a couple of times--running barefoot through the clover, ya know.

That reminds me, he likes to... eat bees. Yes indeed. If he finds one dead or dying in the grass, he'll eat it. When I was cleaning dead bees off of frames last week, he was snacking on them. Now, I know dogs and bears are related, but I didn't think he'd start in after my bees!
Lesli

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
The Downside??
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 06:21:36 am »
Dogs and bears are related?  By marriage?  Third cousins?  bahahahahaha... are you sure about that?