Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Ladies building comb under the SBB...  (Read 1334 times)

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
My Ladies building comb under the SBB...
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:50:15 pm »
To start off.... had my first state inspection on 3/8/10. went off without a hitch and the inspector commented that the hives looked great for non-treated hives. No Varroa on the ether roll, although I had seen on the tray before his arrival.

OK... this is a first for me. Last Sunday I was doing an inspection on one of my hives and I noticed that in the top box (2 deep setup), there was only nectar where there had been lots of brood 3 weeks early during my state inspection. Didn't see any eggs either, very little capped brood in the top deep.

So I continued my inspection of the bottom deep, no eggs (no surprise here). I was alittle worried not seeing the queen or fresh eggs, larvae or capped brood when just weeks ago it seemed the hive was busting at the seems with bees, eggs, larvae and capped brood.

oh well, let me reverse the 2 deeps and maybe my queen (if she was hiding or a virgin) might start laying with the available 'free of nectar' comb from the reversed deep.

now the problem... when i was transferring the bottom deep now to the top, a 'clump' (several thousand) of bees fell on the ground next to the hive. Wasn't really worried at this point since i figured they would make their way back inside. well two days later, they were clinging to the back of the hive stand, then they moved up and under the SBB in a clump. Still, i figured they would make their way back inside but looking at them today, they had stared drawing comb! and lots of it!

So now I have bees flying to the front of the hive and bees flying around to the back of the hive. 2 hives in 1!!!

So, prior to my inspection tomorrow to see if I have a queen upstairs (or maybe one under the SBB), i have come to several deductions:

1) they were a bunch of nurse bees that fell and climbed up and under the SBB smelling the queen from up top. they have never been out of the hive  so this is as good a place as any to start building comb.

2) the queen was in the bunch that fell and now she and the others are starting a new hive under the old one

3) can't think of any other scenario.

anyone?? anyone?? Bueller?

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: My Ladies building comb under the SBB...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:54:14 pm »
My vote is for #2.  Combine them in the top of the hive late in the afternoon.  You will have your queen back without too much of a drop in brood.  More bees = more honey

Offline beekeeper1756

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »
My vote is for #2.  The queen, more than likely, was in that clump of bees and they are building comb on the outside of the hive.

Your original question however, still concerns me.  Why, if the queen was in the clump, was the queen not laying eggs in the brood comb?

Just weird.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:45:30 pm »
 Yep i was very concerned about the absence of eggs, seeing that weeks before, there was an overabundance. I think the upper deep was nectar bound since it filled about every available space. well tomorrow will tell... i'll see if Her Worship is hiding out below.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ