Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can you tell what kind of bees I have from a picture?  (Read 5256 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Can you tell what kind of bees I have from a picture?
« on: May 21, 2006, 09:47:14 pm »
When I bought my nuc I was told that the bees were a combination of Carnolian and Russian bees.  I'm curious if anyone can tell what kind they are from this picture:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6269/2875/640/DSC00842.0.jpg

Some appear to be orange striped while others are black - I've never seen the queen in either hive.  Would I be able to tell from seeing her?

I know Russian bees are more aggressive and I've noticed that the guard bees in one of my hives are being more aggressive when I visit - just when I visit - not when I inspect.  I've had the hives for five weeks now and thought maybe the babies are Russian and are now grown enough to guard the hive.

Linda T in Atlanta  :?

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 10:25:05 pm »
The Gold ones are probably russian, and the blackish carniolans if it was/is a mixed nuc.  I suppose you should have a basic idea of what breed you have when your down to one color.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:40:55 am »
Ahh the joys of packaged bees.  Run a little short of Italians, add a few Carnolians or russian, or bukfast or...
As the old bees die off and the new ones hatch the color will become uniform and then you should see the primary color of that associated with the queen genealogy.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rusty

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:05:21 am »
Hi There,

The black and grey banded ones look very much like Carniolians, and the orange ones could be Italian Russian or even Buckfast.,It depends where the agression is coming from, Buckfast bees are remarkably calm and well behaved although, I think Italians can be a bit stroppy, A Buckfast Queen (my preffered Bee) is usually big and fat and orangy red.

Whatever they are they look good bees and eventually one or the other colour will become predominant. You have a very nice frame there I would be proud of it.

Rusty
Rusty Wise,

Author and illustrator of the Belinda Bee Books,and A little Book of Bee Poems
www.trafford.com (Search Desk)
http://www.pcela.co.yu/IndexE.htm

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:34:22 am »
When a bee supplier sells "a package of Russian bees" they just mean a package of honey bees with a Russian queen.  They don't mean anything about the race of the bees, just the queen  In a month they will be Russian bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian Sisson

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 01:03:28 pm »
I have no idea about your question, but have one of my own-
In your picture, is that comb on the bottom of the frame what you all call a "swarm cell"?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 02:34:39 pm »
Hi Brian,

The comb on the bottom of the frame is broken-off burr comb that the bees sometimes make between the frames.  I think they use it as a passageway both for themselves and/or the queen to move from the hive body below to the frame above.

This frame came from my medium brood super above my hive body.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 03:14:43 pm »
I know!
I know!
They are honeybees!
Do I get a gold star?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 10:43:17 pm »
Actually, Brendhan, after reading about your adventure with the boat and the bees, I think you deserve a bunch of gold stars - I'd never be so brave and bold.

LT

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 11:38:56 pm »
Yeah, going into a boat full of bees, was fun. Not nearly as much fun as lying in a field and playing dead for the buzzards like some others mentioned in another post.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 06:19:52 pm »
Wierd things we did as kids.  Try catching a live raccoon with your bare hands.  We used hound dogs to keep it distracted but it's still the best way to get bit I can think of--it's a wonder my brother and I didn't get rabies.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything