Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pollen traps  (Read 4418 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
pollen traps
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:27:24 pm »
Does any one use these and which one do you recommend?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: pollen traps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:37:09 am »
>Does any one use these and which one do you recommend?

If you're willing to go with a top entrance, I'd buy the Sundance II.  It's cheaper than the regular Sundance and the pollen will stay even cleaner.  If you're not willing to do a top entrance, then go with the Sundance.  I've met many people who bought other brands only to get rid of them and buy a Sundance.  I've never met anyone who got rid of the Sundance to buy something else.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:54:51 pm »
W/ top entrances, can you still use an inner cover and telescoping top? What about hive top feeders?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 05:58:32 pm »
With or without a pollen trap?  If you put shingle shims under the inner cover you will make a top entrance.  If you put the pollen trap on IT will make the top entrance.  If you put a top feeder on you put the shims under it to make the entrance.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:11:17 pm »
Is there a pollen trap available for 8 frame hives.  I don't recall seeing one in any of the usual places.  dadant, Mann Lake, Bushy Mtn, etc.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 10:45:35 pm »
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 05:09:11 pm »
That's a new product.  I would be curious to see how well it works.  I've also been meaning to try an experiment that was inspired by someones homemade SBB.  They said the hardware cloth extended out front and the bees would land on the hardware cloth and loose their pollen.  That's an interesting idea.  If you could avoid forcing them through a grid of some kind it would seem easier on the bees.

-------------------

• House Bee
    • Me Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 05:43:42 pm »
It is an interesting idea. I do believe I will incorporate a simple mesh landing board into my hive designs. Forcing them through screening has got to be distressing to the bees. Should have two effects: (a) beekeeper collects enough real pollen for winter/spring feeding; (b) doesn't significantly reduce amount of pollen available for brood and winter storage at time of collection. Or am I wrong?
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:39:38 am »
SOOOO, you replace the wooden landing area w/ screen, place a container of some variety beneath the landing are and collect pollen.Got it. How do you keep it dry, and how do you close it off occassionally to avoid over harvesting?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 06:10:22 pm »
you know I've been thinking of getting a pollen trap
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

• House Bee
    • Me Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 02:39:11 am »
SOOOO, you replace the wooden landing area w/ screen, place a container of some variety beneath the landing are and collect pollen.Got it. How do you keep it dry, and how do you close it off occassionally to avoid over harvesting?

I suppose you would have to build some sort of roof to keep the rain out. Why bother closing it off? I don't believe you could over-harvest with a screened landing zone like with other pollen traps. The landing zone would not scrape off nearly so much as the entry-screens in current use. Probably only get carelessly packed balls or the ocassional ball scraped off by the occassionaly mis-step taken by the returning bee.