Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: double screen filter  (Read 2201 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
double screen filter
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:46:14 am »
I am filtering my honey with the double screen filter. I am having trouble with the fine screen getting clogged up. Wondering if there are any tricks that any of you use for cleaning the fine screen out. Has any of you, ever put the screen in the oven to melt the crud and wax out of the fine mesh?

Your help is appreciated

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
Re: double screen filter
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:58:15 am »
I have solar hot water at 70c so I just rinse under the tap works fine
you could also put your honey buckets in the sun for a few hours to warm it up.Some honey just will not go through the fine filter depends on the type of flow they're on.
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:23:07 am »
Sounds like you are asking how to clean out the netting after you have extracted the honey. I just take it outside and reverse it and use a hose to blast the particles out. This works great until you put hot wax in the bag. I put a bucket of cappings in my bucket heater and raised the temp to get the honey to separate out a little bit better. It worked out pretty good but when I put it in the filter bucket some of the wax ended up sticking to the filter permanently and little pieces would not wash out with the hose. I have used this same mesh bag a dozen times and it always cleaned up real well with the hose until I put hot wax in it. The wax was not liquid but just soft. Pressure probably pushed the pieces into the mesh.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:49:41 am »
Hey Leechman, I was having the same trouble filtering until I remembered that if you let the Honey sit for about three days most of the junk floats to the top. I then skim it with a big spoon and put the junk(wax,arms and legs,dead bee's etc) to the side to later recover the wax from.

It works well. I then warm the honey in an old chest freezer with a light globe for about 6 hours and then filter it.

Cheers
Steve

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:41:04 am »
The easiest way to clean a filter is put it where the bees can get to it and they will leave only dry wax particles. as for the filter I just use the coarse when I extract then let it set a while and pour through the finer filter but like has already been said the honey needs to be warm 80 degrees or so.

Offline ChrisT

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:28:57 am »
I have never had "crud and wax" get stuck in my filters..
Turn it inside out and shake the stuff out after its dried.

I would guess youre talking about some propolis.. Now THAT has certainly can goo up a filter since heating it up just makes it stick to the mesh more. But still ive never had wax or crud stick to my [nylon mesh] filters.

After im done straining, I get as much of it out of the filter by hand as i can and then I wash the net (with the crap inside) to get the little bit of honey left behind off and then let it dry, turn it inside out and shake (outside of course).

Leaves only a couple spots behind sometimes.

Chris

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:47:24 pm »
I just had a lot of fine wax and propolis stick to the fine screen on my double ss filter.  First I scraped the bottom of the filter with a fork until most of the honey can get through.  I then took it to the back porch and let the bees clean it up some more.  They will actually dislodge a lot of the finer particles.  Whatever is still stuck to the filter, I rinse off with water heated to at least 150 degrees (wax melts at 144 degrees) or even boiling water.  It melts away any remaining wax/propolis, etc.
linda d

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 02:39:05 am »
I do mine kinda like Anybrew,  after extracting into a five gal bucket or drum, put the lid on it let it sit for a few days.  Then I skim wax and other things off with a big spoon and collander.  Then I have a small mesh SS piece of material like expanded metal that is a box.  I pour the honey into it, it is sitting on top an 5 gal bucket with paint strainer in it.  This bucket has several 1/2" holes in the bottom and it is sitting on top of another bucket.  The honey pours right through.  Good luck

Joe