Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wills the Ladies replace the overwintered honey with brood?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
Wills the Ladies replace the overwintered honey with brood?
« on: April 15, 2005, 12:08:54 am »
I have leftover honey (lots). I am putting in a package to replace the bees that died (all of them died - froze).

Should I start the new bees with a deep full of empty frames? Some of the honey? Will they eat what they need and then use the empty cells for brood - or will they just think they are already overcrowded if I leave lots of honey?

What if I put empty frames in a lower deep and all honey above - when they filled the lower would they eat and then use the upper for brood - or just swarm because they think ist too crowded?

If so - what do I do with the over wintered honey!??
The Pleasures Of Love Lasts but a fleeting
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Wills the Ladies replace the overwintered honey with brood?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 01:39:40 am »
Ihave had a lot of crystallized honey. When it is summer and bees do not get honey from field, you can broke the caps of cells and you put a  frame or two in the middle of brood area.

Bees lick the honey away and store it to upper parts of hive.

If you do that when honeyflow is on, bees will cap again the honey. Rainy days are good for operation. Every week you can put 2 frames per hive and it is OK.

You can help bees so that when they lick liquid part of honey away, you spray water quite a much on krystals. So bees are able to lick sugar. Often they begin to carry out sugar. They think that it is rubbish. So give water on, and everything goes well.

anything