Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dell problems  (Read 6321 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Dell problems
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:54:22 pm »
Ok Im working on a Dell E1705 notebook for a frined. Under device manager I have 3 "Base system device" with "!" points by them. I tried to find the drivers on dells site, CNET, and techspot but no luck. I also cant figure out how to get his audio buttons on the front of the laptop to work. Any ideas on the above?

Offline deantn

• House Bee
Re: Dell problems
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:39:30 am »
Try " right click" then all the way at bottom and click on properties and see what they are that are missing.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:10:35 pm »
It says drivers but when I think I found the right drivers it does not work. Maybe I should have posted this in the "I hate Dell" topic! :-D

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:32:48 pm »
They can certainly be buggars to get going correctly.
Could you give us a little more info=
1 Complete name and model#
2 OS (Vista-XP-WinME-WIN98 or other)

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:53 pm »
Have you tried uninstalling them and them rebooting , if you have what happens?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:22:19 am »
The computer is a Dell E1705 Insperion with Windows XP. http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2776

I I've tried to uninstall and when I reboot their back. The two videos (video and video (VGA)) Im guessing are for the intergerated video but cant find any drivers for it. If you look at the link it says the computer came with a go 7800 GS but this one did not. I think one of the drivers is for the 5-1 card reader but I cant find the drivers for it at the sites I already talked about. I have until Thursday and then I am going to give it back. All he really wanted was to be able to look on the internet and Itunes so I got all that working for him.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 06:56:27 am »
Did this computer come with a driver disk for it. They usually come with the windows original install disk and a driver disk for hardware that is installed on that computer.Does it have a recovery partition (Drive D:)?Often it will reinstll to new out of box configuration if you can get the system to allow you acceess to drive D.
 The Dell site says this is the same as the Inspiron 9400 with the exception of the Media centre edition of windows and possibly the tv TUNER.
Here is the driver page:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_9400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 08:56:24 am »
If it hasn't been formatted you could try the factory restore by clicking "ctrl and f11 " at the same time, that will restore it to the factory settings like it came from factory.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 06:23:55 pm »
Thanks for the link, thats where I got most of the drivers. The hard drive had crashed so my friend had already put in the new drive and that is why Im at a lost. Im going to work on it a little tonight and Ill see what I can do. Thanks for everything.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »
Ok. I found the right video drivers needed so all I have left are the 3 "Base system device." Have no clue what they are. I wonder if 1 is the 5in1 card reader and 1 is the volume buttons on the front of the computer? I am going to burn a disk of the drivers needed just in case this happens again.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 07:55:47 pm »
YEA! I got it. It was a Ricoh media reader driver. Finally! All done. Now I just have to burn the disk and hide it from him.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 08:31:33 pm »
Sorry it took so long to get back to ya.  Family, friends, and my farm have kept me busy lately.
Glad you've gotten it resolved though. :)
Yeah, when someone fails to back-up the original system files to a DVD it can drive ya to lunacy finding the correct drivers.  Sometimes I don't think that's a very long drive around here. :-P 8-)