Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Season With Warre Hive  (Read 4122 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
First Season With Warre Hive
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:31:48 am »
It's been a difficult year here in Colorado.  0.11" of rain in August, the blossoms all got knocked off by a hailstorm at the outset of the nectar flow.  Regardless, the Warre Hive bees still managed to draw out three boxes full.  I put the fourth box on and they've done nothing with it so far.  I also harvested the top box.

Do I take the empty bottom box off or leave it there all winter?

Also, do I feed these bees to make sure they're topped off?

Thanks!

--John

Offline ubernerd

• Brood
Re: First Season With Warre Hive
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:22:05 am »
Had the same question myself WRT to the bottom box. If you search hard enough in Beekeeping for All, Warre does say to remove all unfilled boxes. If they are partially filled, he recommended combining combs from hives to fill a box or just storing them over the winter.

I'm only a first year beek, so take that for what it's worth, but  it echos the advice I got on other forums as well.

Can't help you with the feeding question, so good luck there. I'm interested in that answer as well.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:01:23 am »
Thanks!

Offline Mannanan

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:13 am »
Not sure exactly about your local climate, but I am guessing the winters are very cold by my own local standards. This in itself is not a problem, more relevant is how long your winters are. Abbe Warre’s recommendation of over wintering on the two full boxes works fine in the relatively mild and slightly damp climate of Northern France and the UK. However, I have heard of 3 full boxes being the standard for some of the harsher states in the US. If I understand correctly, you have harvested the top box leaving the bees with two full and one empty box. If they are full of capped honey, there will be very little space for extra storage but yes, if you are not averse to feeding, it may just help to top up those two boxes. If that bottom box is completely empty and comb building has stopped that box should be removed for winter and replaced as soon as your spring arrives. They may well be fine through winter on those two full boxes but you need more local knowledge on that matter. As you have harvested that third full box which in hindsight may have been a little premature, I don’t see that you have an option. I hope this helps a little but more specific local advice will override anything I have said. Best wishes and good luck. 

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »
Many thanks!  Great answer.

anything