Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When you feed sugar water ?  (Read 16795 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
When you feed sugar water ?
« on: August 25, 2009, 06:21:05 pm »
When you feed sugar water,do the bees eat it or make honey out of it or both ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
Re: When you feed sugar water ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:30:32 pm »
Both.  It also helps them in wax production at the right time of year when there is no nectar available.

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:52:40 pm »
honey that they can use, but not honey that you would eat or sell.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:28:48 pm »
 :lau:
there's that sense of humor again kathy!

if beekeepers really thought that sugar feed doesn't get into their honey crop, and they were motivated to prevent such a ting from happening, i would think blue food coloring in the sugar feed would be in order.  any takers?

but seriously, we all know that sugar can't become real honey like HFCS can!

deknow

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:38:37 pm »
it's not that hard to figure out.  don't feed when there is a flow on and you have honey supers on.  feed in spring for buildup and in fall to top them off for winter.  i can't imagine that anyone would feed at the same time they had honey supers on....but, maybe some don't know better?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 12:12:56 am »
What do bees do different from their normal activity when they are being feed sugar water ? I would think you are feeding and watering the bees working in the hive,in doing this the workers carring pollen and nectar don't have to carry water and nectar to feed them,correct ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:35:05 am »
Nectar is about 97% water when it firsts come in.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:08:15 pm »
Nectar is about 97% water when it firsts come in.

What I'm saying is,honey is made from nectar that bees bring into the hive and if we feed the bees that work in the hive like the nurse,guards,if we feed them sugar water then they won't be eating the honey,correct ? So,the nectar will go to making honey, correct ?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 04:40:36 pm »
 The nectar and sugar water will all be mix together.How do you get it a part ?? I do not know.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 04:46:37 pm »
The nectar and sugar water will all be mix together.How do you get it a part ?? I do not know.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
After the bee "carries" it, is it still "syrup"?
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 05:08:55 pm »
it's not that hard to figure out.  don't feed when there is a flow on and you have honey supers on.  feed in spring for buildup and in fall to top them off for winter.  i can't imagine that anyone would feed at the same time they had honey supers on....but, maybe some don't know better?

Well,we have a good strong hive with a queen we just introduced three Months ago. We had a big brood build up and there was very little pollen and honey and globes of bees. Well there is a flow on but it looked like not many were collecting,so I thought,feed them and help them build up honey and pollen. This was a real simple question,What do the bees do with sugar water when you feed them ? I know where nectar and pollen and water goes but what does sugar water go for or to ? Anyways there is a flow on and we started feeding them and they are doing 500% better,guess by feeding them I did good no matter where it goes seeing most don't know. Thank You. I'll learn this one on my own I guess.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:18:46 pm »

Thanks,the thing was is,they were real low on pollen and honey and globes of bees and brood and eggs,so i thought help them out. I was just wondering where the sugar water went ? Guess you told me,it's mixed with nectar or the honey,Kathy said we wouldn't eat it or sell it but if it's all mixed ,i guess we do.thanks again.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 05:19:53 pm »
if you had asked the last question 1st, you would have gotten your answer.  we can only guess at what you need to know when your questions are not complete.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:04 pm »
Hey Joelel,

I'm not sure, cuz I'm a real newbee, but I think what they are trying to say is that the bees don't differentiate between the sugar water and nectar.  If you feed them sugar water, they will use it for what they need - to eat or to make honey.  In other words they don't think, "Oh, I'll eat the sugar water and only use the nectar for honey", I think they just put it all together for whatever they are making/doing at the time.

all the best,
ziffa

edit - woops - guess I should refresh my screen before replying! :)  Looks like you figured it out.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 05:34:15 pm »
Joelel, it is my understanding that they use the sugar water to build comb and also store some of it in the cells like they do the nectar and dry it into honey and cap it.

You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between honey made from nectar and honey made from sugar water, so that is why you only feed when the supers are off.  That way, it guarantees the honey in the supers is real honey.  The honey in the brood boxes they made from sugar water or nectar is for the bee's consumption so it doesn't matter.

You aren't supposed to sell honey that isn't from nectar, but of course there is no way to guarantee it other than the honesty of the beekeeper.  Your own consumption is fine - won't hurt. 

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 05:36:16 pm »
if you had asked the last question 1st, you would have gotten your answer.  we can only guess at what you need to know when your questions are not complete.

What ever,read the question again,have a nice day.FIRST QUESTION,When you feed sugar water,do the bees eat it or make honey out of it or both ?

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 05:48:00 pm »
Thank all of you very much,with three of you saying the same now,i think I got the gospel truth.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 09:33:31 pm »
Ok, I'm a little slow today........  Yes, I think the bees eat some of the syrup "as is" like they do nectar.  Were you asking that if the bees consumed the syrup then they wouldn't make honey out of it and the honey would all be from nectar?  I don't think it would, but I am by no means an expert - just speculating on what I have read about bees.  My guess is they use it where they need it most - as food, make comb or make honey for future needs.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 09:41:21 pm »
they will store it just as they do nectar.  you will have "honey" made from syrup.  it's fine for build up in spring and to top them off for winter.  it's not what you want to eat or sell.  in spring, it will give them a boost of brood rearing and comb building, in addition to what they might store.  as soon as you  have a good flow and want to begin collecting honey in your honey supers, stop feeding syrup or you will have adulterated "honey".

the short answer is that they  use it just as they would nectar.  you just don't want to eat it.  i think those were the 2nd and 3rd answer that joelel got.  i don't know how it could have been put more clearly for him.....

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 10:12:26 pm »
Ok, I'm a little slow today........  Yes, I think the bees eat some of the syrup "as is" like they do nectar.  Were you asking that if the bees consumed the syrup then they wouldn't make honey out of it and the honey would all be from nectar?  I don't think it would, but I am by no means an expert - just speculating on what I have read about bees.  My guess is they use it where they need it most - as food, make comb or make honey for future needs.

I agree with you.

anything