Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ??Periodical beekeeping literature reccomendations??  (Read 1415 times)

Offline ThePlot

• New Bee
??Periodical beekeeping literature reccomendations??
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:04:56 am »
What periodical beekeeping literature do you recommend?

What kinds are there? With so many, how to choose?

Thank you.
Enjoy!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: ??Periodical beekeeping literature reccomendations??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:24:14 am »
There are two main ones: Bee Culture and American Bee Journal. Get both for a year and see which you like better.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:37 am »
Excellent advise.  Both have much to offer but 'slightly' different slants.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:35:47 pm »
Bee culture is written for your maiden Aunt Tess who wants and need to know the latest in fashion for decorating "your girls house".  Cutsey cutsey and a the constant search for a way to tell how this or that hobbyist solved their aching delimna of how to chill brood most effectively while staying in fashion.  It contains the adds you need to locate sourses of supply.  For mite control, thinking good thoughts are emphasized and the importance of purity of the soul when mites are found. 

American bee journal.  Has some solid information and the adds you need to find sources of supply.  Sometimes a more useful approach to control of mites.   Overall more material that actually needs chewed and has some nutrition.  Problem is for the magazines is that a constant flow of beginners wash up on the hard rocks of beekeeping reality and without direction, founder on the same rocks.  So a lot of repetition of subject material is needed.  So decide if you are Aunt Tess or the same bumbling idiot we ALL were our first years.  Get both and make a decision who you are.

Offline ThePlot

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:08 pm »
I have to agree with the bumbling idiot we all are in our first years. That would be me. I became very interested in teh profession 2-3 weeks ago. At the time I thought, "I'm going to solve the mite problem." and "I'm going to solve nosema apis." Lets just say that was a very ignorant idea. Now that I'm starting to learn more I realize how many people much smarter than me have been working on these issues for a long time, and how complex the issues are!!! It's mind boggling!! I salute you sirs!

But yes, I am impressed.

Teach me senseis  :-D

Also, thank you for the recommendations and helping this "newbee" out
Enjoy!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:27:05 pm »
I used to get both and this is what I found.

Bee culture is more touchy feely and more into anecdotal evidence than hard facts.  If you're not careful, you'll read things that are presented as facts but are actually opinions.  Those opinions tend to be a little more Lola Granola that sometimes borders on the silly.  Some like that as it fits them and take it as gospel.

American Bee Journal is a little drier and more into facts but can dive deeper into the scientific weeds than most of are interested in.

As a newbee I'd get both.  You can always drop what's not your cup of tea.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline jpmeir

• New Bee
  • Yesterday was the only easy day
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:31:50 pm »
I have bee culture and not going to renew as I didn't read anything that I could use in real time. It's OK but I find real application from these fourms.

anything