Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Food safe Gallon jugs  (Read 2262 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
Food safe Gallon jugs
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:32:40 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm curious if anyone knows where I could find food safe gallon jugs...kinda like the same size and shape as the ones you get windshield washer fluid in.

I would like to get some containers for my sugar syrup but really am at an odd loss as to where to look.

If anyone has suggestions of things that have worked for them please do let me know!

Thanks!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Food safe Gallon jugs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:38:07 pm »
Milk jugs, the ones with screw on lids. Not the snap on.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:43:24 pm »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:58:39 pm »
If you ask any restaurant that buys vinegar in gallon jugs they are usually glad to get rid of them FREE.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:28:53 am »
Second that, Iddee.  I use milk jugs.  I store 5# of sugar in several jugs and when I need to mix up some 1:1 syrup, I just add hot water and shake to dissolve the sugar.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:30:18 am »
Sparky, will that vinegar residue in the jug do anything to my sugar syrup?  Thats really ideally what I was looking for.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline thebalvenie

• House Bee
  • Vote Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:46:35 am »
you can and should always check out the container store...amazing place :)  it's where i plan to go when i harvest the honey :)  and that other site looks good too!  thanks Robo!!!!

http://www.containerstore.com/welcome.htm
"Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:47:29 am »
Some folks add vinegar to the syrup to prevent it from molding,  so residue will not be a problem.

I guess I should read post in their entirety instead of skimming.  I thought you where looking for gallon jugs to sell honey. :oops:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 01:06:10 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I went out and got some vinegar jugs.  They'll work perfectly.

How long does sugar syrup last for before fermenting?  Are there any storage suggestions?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline thebalvenie

• House Bee
  • Vote Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 01:49:00 pm »
How about these -> http://betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1693

yeah but if you're going to sale or not..those containers are great!!!!  ;)

and CHEAP!!!!
"Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito"

anything