Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: T-Bone's ramblings from the homestead  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
T-Bone's ramblings from the homestead
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:47:01 pm »
Never a dull moment here at Briarhill farm.

The garden has really taken off great, looks like one of the best ones in recent years. We have already eaten green beans, tomatoes, taters, radishes and onions.

The livestock population is exploding around here, my wife tried counting chickens the other day and got as far as 67 before she lost count, the incubator is full of chicken and turkey eggs and there are more chicken and guinea eggs waiting to go in.

The goats have pretty much destroyed their pen, so now we are looking at having to build a new one, we have 3 pregnant nannys and 2 bucks right now.
Yesterday was Mother's Day and my wife got a rabbit hutch with 3 does and 1 buck as a gift from our oldest son and his wife, so it looks like we are in the bunny business now.

I did an inspection of the beehives a little while ago, they all appeared healthy and calm for a change, I'm looking forward to a good honey crop this year.

As always there's something that needs done around here and I never can figure out where to start, I long for the day when I can stay here and take care of the homestead full time (at least part time), I really think that day is coming when our income can be derived from the labor we put in on our own place.
"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:28:10 pm »
I've always been envious of people with property - I'm on a 100'x55' lot with a 40'x20' house 38'9' motorhome, 2 sheds and a bunch of trees - all smack in the middle of THRIVING Lakehurst, NJ.

I'm not talking envious of people with 25 acres they need to mow, just a couple of acres and lots of wooded space between me and the neighbors - something I could BARELY need a driving mower to mow.

Having a mini-property has its drawbacks, stuff gets piled up and you just don't know where to put it, mowing involves as much weed-whacking as mowing cause you can't really get into the tough and narrow spots. My back yard is easy enough, a basic rectangle - but the front yard has small trees, shrubs and bee boxes to mow around and I no sooner get moving, I'm backing up or turning - it is a royal pain. Not to mention since it's small, the messes look bigger - it's an illusion, but I'm on the losing end.

I did have a point - lol. Somewhere I lost it (people who know me say I lost it a long time ago) but I have 12 tomato plants growing, and somehow it ends up being more than I can handle working shift work - ugh.

I found out though, when it comes to mowing, I have to do both front and back on the same day or I'm cutting the grass twice as often - maybe that was my point - lol  :roll:
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 08:19:21 am »
There IS always something to do.  I have trouble getting focused enough to get anything done.

What I have had to do is adopt the to do list with priorities.  I make a list first thing in the morning. Then decide those items by importance and just go.  It's the only way I can get ANYTHING done.

Offline Denise

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 12:28:15 pm »
It's NEVER dull around our place. 5 acres doesn't seem like much until springtime. You can barely keep nature at bay. Everything grows out of control. Come about July, only the weeds grow. Then having a 100 year old house is yet another lifetime project. It's always something.
"I saw me life pass before me eyes. It was really boring." - Babs, Chicken Run

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 07:01:56 pm »
Quote from: beemaster

I found out though, when it comes to mowing, I have to do both front and back on the same day or I'm cutting the grass twice as often - maybe that was my point - lol  :roll:

Goats make wonderful lawnmowers... :lol:
"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 10:04:32 pm »
Denise:

My home is 180+ and aging - I suppose it could use a major major redo, although my father and I did a lot of work to the house in the early 90s. The outside though is all asbestos shingles and in need of a paint job or siding - I'll do C1 and C2 when I get the house sided - I'm sure there will be enough scraps :)

Amy:

It has been long over due that I wanted to congratulate you on your musical milestones - all of them deserve a standing O!

Mr. T-Bone:

My neighbors have a male Bull Mastiff and female Italian Mastiff - they are not so kind on the grass as goats  :shock:  they have ruined the grass mostly with urine stains, it is a shame too - the two previous owners (I've gone through 4 neighbors in my 43 years here) built a beautiful lawn.

Beemaster:

I'm not sure if I've ever said hi to you - thought this might be a good of time as any  :wink:
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 01:36:59 am »
T-Bone your place sounds a lot like mine.  
Chickens, pigeons and bees, oh my!
Along with rabbits and goats( they are the best and cheapest brush and weed removal tool in the world).  I'm also lactose intollerant.  I've got 46 eggs in the incubator.  An orchard and a garden.  Ain't it wounderful what you can do with a little over an acre?  I pay less for feed for the critters I eat then would if I bought the same meat at the store and it tastes better.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 01:41:38 am »
Brian,
Which ones do you eat? :wink:
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 07:19:05 am »
Beemaster:   I see you've started having conversations with yourself on the forum, I think it's time to take another vacation.  

Thanks for the congrats. :-)

anything