Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoker material  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Smoker material
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 12:36:27 am »
Thanks so much everyone for their useful information.  There are certainly a lot of options I see, some more readily available than others.  We have some grass straw in the shed.  I suppose it's worthwhile trying out to see how it smokes.  I believe burlap might be the american term for hessian.  I like the suggestion about having a barrel of fuel ready to go, too.  Someone also suggested palm tree bark to me yesterday.  Wood chips are not readily available here, nor are pine needles, but I think some people might use she-oak needles.  What is the reason you should keep the smoke cooler? 

No-one has suggested the other smoker my old offsider uses....puffing away at a marlboro when he's playing with bees!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 10:08:43 am »
Need to keep the smoke cool so you don't burn the bee's or start a fire in the hive a spark from the smoker might start a fire.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 12:03:38 pm »
Believe it or not Lone I have heard of tobacco being used. It is said to run hive bettles out.  Thinking of giving it a try myself sometime & see.  But really you can use most anything that burns slow and rather cool.  Cool of course because of a fire hazard.  :roll: I also have a smoker tray in the fiberglass bed of my truck now and a nuc box I fixed up for a bee tool box.  :roll: 
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 09:27:50 pm »
 hey Irwin!
 Are those your beehives???
 I have 7 hives too!
your friend,
john

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 08:02:13 am »
Thanks Irwin. 

Mathispollenators:  I probably won't take up smoking on account of the small hive beetle.  We leave a couple of cane toad guards at the bottom of the hive stand instead.  Now, a smoking toad would be a real tool against the beetle..!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 08:51:12 am »
hey Irwin!
 Are those your beehives???
 I have 7 hives too!
your friend,
john
No They are some pic's I found on the net there is some more but that was the best one. Only one hive had a little melted wax in it.

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 11:46:45 am »
LOL Lone I think they were putting in the smoker itself.  I thought I may try it with some of the cheap flavored cigars I see.  Kinda break one or two up and mixed in with some pinestraw. I know it sounds stupid but if I'm open to try it at least once. Maybe twice if it looks like it may work.
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 09:59:11 am »
Same fire

Offline ikeepbees

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 11:22:32 am »
I'm on the Gulf Coast, so pine needles are abundant and free. The smoke has a pleasant smell, too. as Michael pointed out it doesn't last as long as some other fuels, but if you pack it tight it does pretty well.

No clue on your original question, Lone, about the Hessian sack.
Rob Koss

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline josbees

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:18 am »
I get empty coffee sacks from our nearby gourmet grocery store.  They're happy to get rid of them, but I know once they realize all the local beeks are using them they will suddenly start charging an arm and a leg (or the cost of an extra large latte) for them. 

When I cut the sacks down, they're great for the smoker.  And they smell good in my basement too....

anything