Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: making a package of Honeybees  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
making a package of Honeybees
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:11:25 pm »
When a beekeeper makes up a package of Honeybees....does he take bees from only one hive or can he shake from more than one.
I only have 2 hives.....if they build up like I hope they will...I would like to buy a Queen and shake out some bees from both hives..if that is done....to put bees in my TBH... if I havn't already lucked onto  a swarm.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: making a package of Honeybees
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:55 pm »
Yes, they mix them at times.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 07:20:28 pm »
OK...thanks. I thought I had seen that in a video or something but couldn't be sure. Much rather find a swarm but out here in the Hammock the trees are so tall they are generally out of our reach...

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:23:08 pm »
Yep they take bees from as many hives as necessary to get 3 pounds in a package.
Then they put a strange queen that in a cage in the package.
Then you install them in a hive and hope they get along and accept the queen.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:49:10 pm »
I wouldn't put the TBH in the same yard as the hives you are shaking from.   Without any brood,  the majority of the bees will return to the hive they where taken from.   You want to move the TBH at least 2 miles away.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 01:04:11 pm »
Robo....thanks....guess I'll either have to buy a package or catch a swarm.   The TBH sits between the 2 Langs....No fun having the hive 2 miles away. Since I am doing it because I enjoy watching the bees and not for profit...it would be a waste of time.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:04:45 am »
Hey Carol why not just do a split. You can mix and match a frame or two from both hives. Add a new Queen in a day or two.

Cheers Steve
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:14:53 pm by Anybrew2 »

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:49:56 pm »
Could move the hive 2 miles for a month or two then move it back home.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »
Carol, Robo does not mean permanently. Just for about 2 weeks until they have a good amount of brood and the older bees have forgotten where home was. Then you can move them back to your yard.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:57:16 pm »
Dont really know of anyplace I could put it....it would probably be cheaper in the long run to just get a package and install it if I can't get a swarm.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 12:21:52 pm »
place the new weaker hive where the old stronger was. move the old hive ten feet old bees will fly to the weak and bolster its numbers
jay

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
its not that hard.   if you shake out a package,  let them sit for a bout 4 hours before you put in the new queen,  and then let them sit with that queen for at least 24,  (48 would be better)  then you can reinstall them in the same yard with no problem.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 04:04:47 pm »
GMCharlie....    my TBH sits between 2 Langs hives.   If I were to shake bees in it from those two...screen the opening and let them sit for 24 hrs or 48...(with feed and a queen) is that what you mean? I could remove the screen...stuff grass in the opening and let them work their way out.

If I cannot get a swarm I'll give it a try.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:56 pm »
Dont really know of anyplace I could put it....it would probably be cheaper in the long run to just get a package and install it if I can't get a swarm.

a lot of times when you put packages in and established Bee yard you may get a lot of drifting of these into the established hives or they may even abscond all I can say this has been my experience

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »
Biggest issue is that we are dealing with going from lang to tbh.  You can't just toss a Lang frame into a tbh.  It also depends on the dimensions of the tbh.  Some may even fit lang frames!  Seems to me you have two choices. 

1. Buy a package and hope they build comb as you want them to.

2. Take a tie strap and attach a couple of top bars to lang frames.  Allow the bees to start building comb and fill with eggs.  Before they get to big remove the top bar from the lang frame and use that for your split.  If you kept on top of things the top bar can be transferred without any comb trimming at all.  You can even do this with both hives so you don't take all of the resources from one hive. 

I've kept top bar hives in the past.  They are fun to have, but they do have quite a few downsides.  I've decided to go strictly lang and next year I may use my tbh as a stand for my nucs.  Hope this helps!
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 03:40:03 pm »
Carol,
Why not hang a swarm trap at a distance you can reach, or throw a rope in a tree and hike it up higher if needed. Im sure in Fl you should have decent luck landing a swarm in the trap. And do it soon, swarm season comes earlier for you folks! :)
Pewrhaps put just a little swarm lure in your TBH will be enough!

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:50:07 pm »
If you decide to try to catch a swarm remember two things.  You will either have to watch the trap closely and hive as soon as one moves in or make the swarm trap a mini tbh. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 12:59:34 am »
catch a swarm use 15 drops of lemongrass oil

jay

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 06:01:25 am »
That sounds like a lot of lemon grass oil. Most only use a couple drops/. Too much will deter them.

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:47 pm »
Yes you could,  but watch out for heat.  no ventilation kills bees quickly.   
A package is an artificial swarm  it catches bees of all ages.  if you can leave them caged and clustered with a new queen they will re orint themsleves to the new queen.   but it takes a cpl days for them all to get on board.

anything