Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ouch! I got stung  (Read 2488 times)

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
Ouch! I got stung
« on: May 26, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »
I went to check on the bees I pulled some weeds then opened the top to check the jar feeder and one zapped the side of my knee. I have applied soy sauce, peppermeint oil,and lavender oil. So now I sit and wait to see if I am allergic to honey bees like I am wasps and hornets. Does this mean i am now a "real" beekeeper? :-D
Lori

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Ouch! I got stung
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:02:42 pm »
I don't know about the title, but your knee is marinated and ready for the grill!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:17:12 pm »
I think that's an interesting combination of seasonings but I agree with Hardwood, ready for the grill. Is the sting swelling and do you have any iching or tightness in your throat?
Tim

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:02:23 pm »
I don't know about the title, but your knee is marinated and ready for the grill!

Scott

LOL  :-P
I think that's an interesting combination of seasonings but I agree with Hardwood, ready for the grill. Is the sting swelling and do you have any iching or tightness in your throat?
Nope on all and it doesn't even hurt :) I would say I am not allergic to honey bees YAY!!!
Lori

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 07:37:02 pm »
Glad it's not bothering you.
 If you really have never been hit by a honeybee before you might need to wait for pop number two to be confident in your bodies response. Sometimes the first exposure just teaches your immune system what to gear up and be "ready" for the next time....at least that's what our pediatrician tells me.

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:27:41 pm »
I don't know......some might say that you're not a real beekeeper until that day when you're in a hurry, or maybe distracted by something else and you go to get into one of your hives for something, or maybe you're in a rush to collect and hive a swarm and you don't think you really need that veil or those gloves........and..........before you know it, you've been zapped, like fifty times.

But then again, maybe it just makes those of us who've done those kinds of stupid things feel better when others do the same kinds of stupid things, and makes us feel slightly less stupid.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:40:14 pm »
Agree with Andrew about
maybe it just makes those of us who've done those kinds of stupid things feel better when others do the same kinds of stupid things, and makes us feel slightly less stupid.

And for those of us with thick hair, when they get in and tangled up you know it is a question of when before you start to take the hits.

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:43:06 pm »
Lori, I'm glad you didn't react. I have to say I felt pretty silly when I got popped by my eye in early January checking to see if they had enough honey yet. People at work were asking where I found bees to get stung.
Tim

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 11:18:46 pm »

I swell pretty good, doc gave me a combo of pills to take when I get stung, they don't work.  But I have still gone from 3 to 7 hive at present.  After all whats a little bee sting.

Joe

Offline cdanderson

• New Bee
    • Carolina Honeybees
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 11:01:29 am »
I would say that you can call yourself a "real beekeeper" because you got stung and still want to keep bees !  Unfortunately, it is part of the program..however, you will have to experience several more stings before you will know if you are allergic.
Charlotte
SC Master Beekeeper
"My bees obviously dont read the same books as me !"

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »
... I pulled some weeds then opened the top ...and one zapped the side of my knee. I have applied soy sauce, peppermeint oil,and lavender oil... Does this mean i am now a "real" beekeeper?

Not until you take up the habit of chewing Tee-Backey to use as a poultice to sooth on your bee bites and stings.  LOL  :-D  ;)  Good luck!!