Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's up with these beards?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
What's up with these beards?
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:59:18 pm »
I have three hives on my deck.  All of them have screened bottom boards and slatted racks.  All of them have propped tops.  Today (also yesterday and several days before) when I got home from work in the 90 degree heat, here's what the hives looked like:

I haven't harvested from the left most hive - the top box is empty.  Would harvesting the two boxes below the top box help with ventilation?  Any other ventilation suggestions?

Linda T in HOtlanta

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: What's up with these beards?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:09:02 pm »
That looks about normal to me, I have a couple of hives that there are 2 to 3 pounds of bees on the front at night and then they thin out during the day.

It is just hot and humid here and I'm sure it is in GA.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:26:23 pm »
Have you tried ventilation tops before? Not sure how well they'd work in your climate but I'm really pleased with the results this year in the Northwest--no more condensation and better airflow.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 11:28:28 pm »
It's been in the tripple digits here. Late in evening hives have 3 supers on them with bees bearding all way up and below bottom board 2-3 inches. I just vented tops today with props. I think you'll be  ok if you have space inside. Keep plenty water fort hem they drinking heavy even at window A/C. I have a pool and a bath tub full of water for them . It's just HOT!

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:35:19 pm »
Putting a box with mostly empty drawn frames on the bottom of the stack will reduce bearding. I think it helps with field bees coming in the end of the day in the heat, gives them somewhere to wait while things cool off. It may help with their cooling of the hive with air circulation. Just guessing here. Something to try if you're concerned. It's turned warm here over last several days and my bees are covering the front of the bottom box and more in this heat, at the end of the day. By morning, they all inside but going to work as the dutiful girls they are!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:43:07 pm »
They look a little weak. This time of year there should be at least a three box beard on hives that size. Maybe you need some stronger queens.   :?   :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:49:12 am »
I hope you're kidding - I've never had a three box beard!  Or maybe that's something to strive for  :evil: :evil: :evil:

LT

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 01:33:42 am »
My "quirinol" hive has a huge beard every night, thing is the honey super I built that went right above the brood box has a gap in it of about 3/8"; they use it a reasonable amount as an alternate entrance, and I am certain, a good bit for ventilation. (I'm still a noob, but the learning curve here is exponential - for what it's worth.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:28:12 am »
I have three hives on my deck.  All of them have screened bottom boards and slatted racks.  All of them have propped tops.  Today (also yesterday and several days before) when I got home from work in the 90 degree heat, here's what the hives looked like:

I haven't harvested from the left most hive - the top box is empty.  Would harvesting the two boxes below the top box help with ventilation?  Any other ventilation suggestions?

Linda T in HOtlanta

Field bees hang around out side at the end of the day after work.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 11:13:01 am »
Field bees hang around out side at the end of the day after work.  HE: HE:   Joelel wrote, Is it Miller time?  :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 03:30:18 pm »
Half kidding, half serious. I never worry about bearding. It just means the hive is doing well.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:40:21 am »
Try taking your old solid bottom board, turning them upside down and using them as tops.  It will better ventilate the hive and provide an upper entrance both of which will greatly reduce the bearding.  All my tops are solid reversable bottom boards, if I want to reduce the vent/entrance I use a regular entrance reducer.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 12:48:53 am »
OK here I go again.  I use these top covers and although we have temps into the high 90's and low 100's all summer, I never have any bearding anymore.

http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/store/season-inner-cover-p-50.html?osCsid=eb515e7fa19314cf8b77425b22515624

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 01:05:56 am »
neat cover Annette, thanks for posting it.
be happy and make others happy.