Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: decoy hive  (Read 5725 times)

Offline GT

• New Bee
decoy hive
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:00:21 pm »
can anyone point me to plans for making a decoy hive? I've heard they're useful for attracting ferals. Can't find info on this site, but my apologies if its buried somewhere.
Thanks

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
decoy hive
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:14:45 pm »
A decoy hive can consist of anything really.  Probably the best option is an unused deep body with frames, foundation or comb (don't use good comb as it is likely to get ruined by wax moths) a bottom board and a cover.  They are best placed about 12 feet off the ground and in the SHADE!  Also, in the June ABJ (which I got yesterday), Dr. Mangum described catching swarms in a TopBarHive.

Offline GT

• New Bee
decoy hive
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:47:09 pm »
nathan -

thanks for the reply. I'm going to set one up using a nuc box, foundation baited with lemongrass oil.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
decoy hive
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 04:35:11 pm »
That might be a little on the small side for attracting swarms.  I think the latest estimates say a northern swarm prefers a cavity of anywhere from 20-30 liters.  I think that's about 1 deep body.  Then again, the bees don't read the same books I do.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
decoy hive
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 05:22:17 pm »
Normal swarm (4lbs) occupy one langtroth box. 10 lbs occupy 2 langstroth box.

If you have two small swarms, put them together so that you get 2 boxes full. It works well.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
decoy hive
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 08:58:12 am »
It's hard to beat old equipment for bait hives.  The bees like the smell, you aren't too attached to it.  A ten frame deep is probably an ideal size, but pheromones can overcomb bait hives that are too small.  I often use a five frame deep nuc with medium frames in it, just because it's easier to tie in a tree than a ten frame deep.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GT

• New Bee
decoy hive
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:24:57 pm »
Michael -

Sound advice. I have a few older deeps laying around which I'll try. Unfortunately I dont have any drawn comb, only brand new plasticell and some wired shallow foundation (also new). Are they going to work or should I wait until there is free drawn comb available. 2 final questions: I read that lemongrass oil is a great attractant, do you have an opinion? And I saw a place that had a swarm trap on a flat roof, one strory high. I have the same set up so was thinking it would be easiest (for me), but tieing one to a tree might be managable. What would you do? Keep in mind that this is my first time and just an experiment. I'm assuming my healthy (to date) hives wont consider swarming into my trap, but should I keep the trap a safe distance away to be sure. Logically though, if mine swarm, and find my trap attractive enough to use, I'd be a pretty lucky beek wouldn't I?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
decoy hive
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 12:13:03 pm »
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.ht

>Unfortunately I dont have any drawn comb, only brand new plasticell and some wired shallow foundation (also new).

I usually use foundationless frames or starter strips and one old piece of comb.  I wouldn't use the plastic.

> Are they going to work or should I wait until there is free drawn comb available.

I'd put starter strips in and lemongrass oil.

> 2 final questions: I read that lemongrass oil is a great attractant, do you have an opinion?

It's the best swarm lure I know of.  Old queens in alcohol is the next.

>I'd be a pretty lucky beek wouldn't I?

I just went out to my stack of euqipment to get a super and found a swarm had moved into the stack of supers.  :)  It's not that unusual.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline super dave

• House Bee
decoy hive
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 05:59:12 pm »
so were do you get this lemongrass oil and how much do you use -- i'd like to give this a try does it work well
thanks
dave
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline GT

• New Bee
decoy hive
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 05:48:10 pm »
I have a local natural foods market that sells little 3 ounce bottles of it

Offline super dave

• House Bee
decoy hive
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 05:53:07 pm »
thanks lots -- should i use the whole bottle or just a little bit -- do you think i should just put it in a plastic jar lid-- hmmmm deep thoughts
dave

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
decoy hive
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 09:15:12 pm »
>thanks lots -- should i use the whole bottle or just a little bit -

Three or four drops works fine.  Too much will actually drive the bees out of the box.
-------------------

Offline super dave

• House Bee
decoy hive
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 10:08:30 am »
thanks all-- i can't wait to start

anything