Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Afternoon activity  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Afternoon activity
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:27:41 am »
I've noticed the most activity outside my hive in the late afternoon - say, 4:00 on. There's a lot of flying around in front of the hive and I've also noticed a lot of drones at that time. If I watch for 5 minutes, I might see 10 drones or more. Just wondering if that's normal. And what on earth are the drones doing out there anyway? I assume they don't have any real work to do so are these just recreational flights? Second year beekeeper here so I'm still learning.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Re: Afternoon activity
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:54:45 am »
1) a lot of late afternoon activity can be orientation flights.  That is when the younger bees are taking their first flights outside the hive and trying to orient themselves to the hive's position visa vi the sun and what the hive's distinguishing marks may look like, ect.

2) as far as a lot of drones later in the afternoon, that is the time they tend to come back from the DCAs (drone congregation areas) where they have been waiting a good part of the day trying to catch a virgin queen on the wing.  By 4-5 p.m. most virgins queens have already done their mating flight thing for the day, so the drones head back to the hive to grab a beer and call it a day.
linda d

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:30:05 pm »
Video it for us.   We all love watching bees.   

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:19:43 pm »
Tomorrow if I remember.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:39:55 pm »
 :-D

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:14:18 am »
i think some of it is that they are pooping flights for the day.  Ive seen em poop when they come out.

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »
Actually TOMORROW now. If I remember. Sorry - got busy the last couple of days. Weather should be warm so I'm sure they'll be out in droves.