Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Over painting the Queen  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Seabee8

• New Bee
Re: Over painting the Queen
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 09:10:01 am »
I didn't practice on a drone. I found a video on YouTube, and followed the example in the video. Picked her up by her wings, she grabbed onto my finger and I used my free hand to mark her.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 10:10:42 am »
There are a lot of little nuances that aren't explained in the videos or the books.  Like if you have a paint pen you should blot it first on something... or just how hard can you squeeze a queen without hurting her, or how fast is she.  It's the little details that make things work or not.  Get next year's color.  Mark a thousand drones.  Then do a few workers for good measure (harder and more likely to get stung).  Then use this year's color on the queen.  By now you are confident and all those details like how fast to move or how hard to squeeze or blotting the paint etc. are second nature.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:13 am »
 :oops:
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944