Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another bee feed question  (Read 1342 times)

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
Another bee feed question
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:33:46 pm »
This year I bought a 275 gallon tote that used to have corn syrup in it for food production.  I emptied about 7 gallons out of the bottom before cleaning it for maple sap storage.  Can I feed the corn syrup to my new hives when they get here to help them start out their new home.  The guy I bought the tote from says that he has  a guy that feeds this to his bees  and I am wondering if anyone here thinks this is bad?

Thanks again.
Lee

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Another bee feed question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:48:50 pm »
keepers feed HFCS all the time-there are-others that will tell you about the evils
 of corn syrup-it comes in different % of solids like type 42 type 55 the higher the number
the more solids it has in it-this would compare to 1:1--2:1 and so on so depending on what your needs are you can dilute with water if necessary for the constancy you want-many other people blend it with sucrose -sugar and water
 and fell this is a better feed -but by all means this will feed your bees--RDY-B

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:51 pm »
Personally i would not touch that with a 100 ft pole. That is not what bees feed on naturally so i try to leave them with honey, keep honey frames for new packages and if i have to feed with other stuff, i use white sugar. i know, keepers have been doing it for a long time, big and commercial ones, small and backyard keepers too. i just don't think like that and that is my management style and my 2 cents.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:28:43 pm »
Keep it to them.