Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WHAT a DAY!!!  (Read 1515 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
WHAT a DAY!!!
« on: March 02, 2008, 09:31:38 pm »
I spent the day with my mentor splitting hives and making NUC's. His (and others) bees are building up very fast on a 300 acre canola field that is just starting to bloom. Man do the bees love that stuff! The sea of yellow is beautiful. I will try to post a picture when it hits full bloom.

In addition, I witnessed a huge (five gallon bucket size) swarm come out of a hive circle like a tornado and then pitch in a tree 20 feet up. Fortunately it was a very limber pine tree. We sat up a hive body and I shook the bees from the tree into the box. On the first try we must have not had the queen because they eventually flew back to the tree. We let them settle down awhile and shook them again. This time we saw the queen in the box and the bees followed her in. WHAT A SIGHT and EXPERIENCE!

My honey supers go on this week. Spring has arrived in Central Georgia.

Too much excitement for one day, Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
Re: WHAT a DAY!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:36:15 pm »
You are so lucky! New Jersey where I live is so so so so developed with nothing but houses...!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: WHAT a DAY!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:29:22 pm »
Amazing - I am wishing for your weather since we are 100 miles north of you.   Maybe soon - my bees are starting to build up but not beginning to be ready for honey supers.

Linda T envious in Atlanta

anything