Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will this work? Will I ave angry Neighbours Hive placement  (Read 4529 times)

Offline jasaus

• New Bee
Will this work? Will I ave angry Neighbours Hive placement
« on: September 23, 2012, 07:16:20 pm »
I have decided to jump in to it without give into too much thought, an I have built my self a top bar hive on the week end.

However I live on a 600 sqm block in Brisbane I would like to place my hive near the back fence, however my neighbours deck it just 2 meters away from the fence.  The fence is 7 foot white colorbond and the are 9 foot screening plants between the fence and the neighbours deck.

I am planning to take the "what they don't see wont hurt them" approach.  We already have a tender relationship after my chicken jumped the fence and scratch at their garden.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:05:16 am by eivindm »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Will this work? Will I ave angry Neighbours Hive placement
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:00:16 pm »
Are the plants or fence pretty much a solid wall?
If so the bees will fly above and stay at that height en route to food. My only concern would be if the neighbor has a water source.
Years ago my dad told his next door neighbor he was planning on getting bees. He ended up with 5 hives on a 1/4 acre lot. 4 years later this same neighbor ask him if he was still thinking about getting bees.
If you provide the water and don't say anything he probably won't know.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 08:06:18 pm »
Did you give them some eggs after the chook incident? That should mollify them somewhat.

Is their deck at ground level or elevated? The code of practice recommends a 2m barrier between you and the neighbours, the 9 foot hedge will be fine provided their deck is not elevated to nearly that height or above.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:02:55 pm »
  What part of Brisvegas are you in jasaus?  How far is your house from the back fence? Why not put your hive close to your house with suitable light screening to direct the bees away from your back door?
  Of course the solution is easy from 2000 Ks away.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:46:46 am by Geoff »
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline jasaus

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:52:34 am »
Did you give them some eggs after the chook incident? That should mollify them somewhat.

Is their deck at ground level or elevated? The code of practice recommends a 2m barrier between you and the neighbours, the 9 foot hedge will be fine provided their deck is not elevated to nearly that height or above.

I wish it were that simple they have there own chooks but apparently my chooks are a bad influence on them

their house is  2 metres away from the and they are located downhill on a slope so I think they will be fine but my deck it 10 metres away from the hive location on the up hill slope and the way I am planning this the entrance to the hive will be facing my deck and I dont have the luxury of a colorbond fence to prevent them from stinging guests when we are have a party at night.

Maybe I can just cork the entrance in the evening when I am entertaining?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:05:03 am by eivindm »

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:55:48 am »
The bees wont be flying in the evening anyway so you'll be ok ;)
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:27:56 am »
They might not be flying but on a warm evening they might well be bearding, I wouldn't count on corking them.

How was your chook a bad influence, did she teach them to use bad language or something?

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:30:30 am »
I hate to say it but sounds like it could be a can of worms!
what about on top of a shed or house?
Ben

Offline jasaus

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 08:22:14 am »
They might not be flying but on a warm evening they might well be bearding, I wouldn't count on corking them.

How was your chook a bad influence, did she teach them to use bad language or something?

Correct me if I am wrong (my total experience consists of a weekend reading the internet then race off to build a hive)  but if the bees are bearding they will just be sitting on the outside of the hive.  as long as people leave them alone they will not be flying around stinging people?

Why would not corking the bees in work?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:56:50 am »
Because the bees will be bearding on the outside of the hive, you can't cork them in if they're not all in. The more adventurous of them are also attracted to bright lights at night, you could easily have a couple of hundred buzzing around the light, but not all hives seem to have this propensity, you just have to suck it and see.

anything