Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My First Trap Out  (Read 9789 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: My First Trap Out
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 10:29:46 pm »
I have only did one trap starting with a queen and 1 plus frames of bees. It worked fine. I don't know what the next one might do.

Are you going to give them time to rob the house after removing the cone?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 11:10:10 am »

I wasn't since they had only been there for less than two months. I doubt there is much honey to rob. Am I wrong?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 11:24:41 am »
I have no idea how much is there. I have seen large hives pack away 50 lb. of honey in a week. It is your call, but what would it hurt to leave the hive an extra 2 or 3 days to see what they do. If it is empty, they will ignore it. If there's honey in it, it will be a robbing frenzy.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 12:00:48 pm »

I wasn't since they had only been there for less than two months. I doubt there is much honey to rob. Am I wrong?

Steve

If there is only 5 pounds of honey in there how many ants, cockroaches, silverfish, mice, etc will it feed?  How long until if finishes being eaten, fermenting, oozing out of the wall? 

I bet the homeowner would want you to finish robbing it out.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 05:49:26 pm »
OK, I can take good advice. I will leave them a few days after I remove the cone and let them rob the honey.

Thanks,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything