Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: just a ?  (Read 5084 times)

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
just a ?
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:53:13 pm »
Hi all,
  does anybody know if bees like buttercup flowers
we have them everywhere up here

oh also my bees don't seem to be bringing in much pollen
there all queen rite
  should I be giving them pollen sub again?

hope everyone's bees are well!!!

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
just a ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 04:09:01 pm »
Can't answer the buttercup question but I never gave my bees pollen substitute or anything like that and they are just dandy.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
just a ?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 04:18:25 pm »
There should be no need to provide pollem this time of the year.  Have you look inside for pollen stores?  Just because you don't see them bringing much in, doesn't mean they are deficient of pollen.   Mine have slowed way down on the pollen collecting and are bringing in nectar.  Most of mine have a full frame or more of pollen when I checked them today.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline banjojohn

• New Bee
just a ?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 06:33:20 pm »
I have a few acres with a good crop of butter cup and I have never seen a bee on one. I have a lot of flowers (perennials and annuals) around my house and some flowers never seem to have an insect of any kind, and some are covered. Something must pollinate those *#*&^%# butter cups though.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
just a ?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 07:20:58 pm »
I got five acres of weeds and wild flowers and never see a bee on any of it. The surounding area has basically the same stuff I have right now and I see the bees bringing in pollen all the time and they are producing honey from some where. Guess the flowers are better on the other side of the fence.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Flowers
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:50:00 pm »
I have a list of all the flowers bees like.  One that is prolific around my house and is on the list is crown vetch.  I have never seen a honey bee on it, but do see bumble bees around it.  We also have catalpa trees and never see bees on the blooms either.  I have a nest of bumble bees in a flower bed and see them around the flowers all the time, but never the honey bees.  Where are they getting all the nectar??
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Flowers
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 08:31:01 pm »
Quote from: Beecharmer
I have a list of all the flowers bees like.  One that is prolific around my house and is on the list is crown vetch.  I have never seen a honey bee on it, but do see bumble bees around it.  We also have catalpa trees and never see bees on the blooms either.  I have a nest of bumble bees in a flower bed and see them around the flowers all the time, but never the honey bees.  Where are they getting all the nectar??

Don't forget that honeybees are selective foragers (only forage one plant type at a time) while bumblebees are not selective (go from flower to flower regardless of the type).  Most likely there is another plant in bloom that they prefer over the vetch or catalpa and that is why you don't see them on it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
just a ?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 08:37:53 pm »
So you are saying the whole hive will go after the one type of flower? I figured there was groups. Some goes for flower "A", some flower "B", ect, ect.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
just a ?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 10:27:30 pm »
JerryMac says:

So you are saying the whole hive will go after the one type of flower? I figured there was groups. Some goes for flower "A", some flower "B", ect, ect.

This is true.  It was the most amazing fact I just found out a few weeks ago.  They go after one flower bloom at a time.   Basically  they determin early in the morning wat to go after and all day that go after that bloom, until something else comes into favor.    This is the reason that they suggest that the orchard owner mow down his dandilions so the bees will work the apple blossoms.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
just a ?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 11:54:26 pm »
thanks everyone
 robo I did notice lots of pollen in the comb
but I also noticed that some of it is moldy
    or maybe we just have some weird pollen here.
the hives are vented well but it did rain for six days
 just before I looked!

Offline newguy

• House Bee
just a ?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 12:39:30 am »
i actually held a buttercup up to a bee on the entrance of the hive one time just to see if they liked it and a bee actually tried to sting the flower.  so i figured they don't like buttercups. also as far as what leominster said about bees deciding what to get in the morning and staying with that bloom only, i'm guessing you mean individual bees because i always notice several differant types of pollen on my bees when i observe them, bright yellow/orange pollen from dandilions, light yellow from sorel, or greenish from blackberries among the many other colors i see.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
just a ?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 02:49:22 am »
Quote from: newguy
also as far as what leominster said about bees deciding what to get in the morning and staying with that bloom only, i'm guessing you mean individual bees because i always notice several differant types of pollen on my bees when i observe them,

I was just going to say that

anything