Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: a rookie question that this rookie does not know  (Read 2059 times)

Offline fenux1255

• New Bee
a rookie question that this rookie does not know
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:22:56 pm »
we just took the frames off the 2 hives i have and spun the honey out for our second harvest of the season,
the first harvest was a success however i jumped the gun in july (1st harvest) and now i had to do a second one
my question is when i spun the honey the from the second harvest some of the comb was not caped not alot but it seemed
that a chunk from each frame had some uncaped comb. so when i compared the 2 jars they were close to the same color
but the second harvest was not as thick as the first is that because some of it was not caped and if so is it no good i dont want to
have it ferment on me lol or is it possible that different harvests can produce different thicknesses

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: a rookie question that this rookie does not know
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:44:28 pm »
If better than half was capped, you will probably be fine. The only way to be sure is to check the moisture content with a refractometer.
As far as the thickness, was the temperature the same? Higher temps = thinner honey.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:48:18 am »
The parts that were uncapped, was the nectar in those areas thin or thick, would it shake out if you shook the frame? If it wouldn't shake out, then you're fine. Bees will fill the cells and cure the nectar, but not cap it until the cell is full, so you could have some cured or mostly cured nectar in those open cells. I bet your fine with it from what you've described.

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:45:31 am »
How thick the honey flows has to do with what type of nectar the bees are bringing in.  Usually the Spring honey is lighter in color and might be more flowing or lighter in consistency.  I usually do not extract honey unless the cells are 80% sealed or better.  Like previously mentioned, a refractometer would help.  A few weeks ago I removed several frames that had less than 80% sealed cells.  Just for curiosity I took some honey out of the unsealed cells and measured on the refractometer.  I got a reading of 19% moisture content.  The moisture content should be 18% or less but considering that the sealed cells had a reading of 16% I went ahead and extracted.  If you take the frame and flip it on its side and honey (nectar) spills out of it then it is deffinitely not OK to extract.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

anything