Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split information  (Read 1452 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Split information
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:56:49 pm »
When a split (nuc) is moved away from the apiary what would be the soonest it could be moved back home?  I moved mine about 4 miles away from the location of the original hives but - at some point will need to move them back here to put them into the 10 frame deep hive.  Also I'm fearing that they fill the nuc and run out of space.  I have heard to leave them "away" for 6 weeks however I am sure they will be completely full of brood before that.  Can I move them back here before that?

Please advise.

David

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Split information
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 01:00:54 pm »
2 to 3 weeks should be fine.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 01:24:33 pm »
If you use mostly nurse bees in the nuc you don't even have to move them. If you make an even split and have older bees in the split you would need to move them. What I have read is a bee has a four day memory.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:33:42 pm »
I move mine back after 3 days.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:32:52 pm »
Really that quickly.  And I am assuming you have not had any issues with them returning to the original hive?  Interesting!

David

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59:15 pm »
I've not had a problem with them returning to the original hive but on occasion , before their new queen is mated, smell the other queens in the yard and move in with them.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 01:37:32 pm »
I shake some extra bees in and never move them anywhere...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:38:20 pm »
If your hive is strong enough to split to began with, make your new split up in a 10 frame hive box. place it where the old one is and move the old parent hive about 10 ft away. It already has plenty brood and house bees, and a queen. The new split will receive the older field bees returning to their known position. with in a few weeks the colonies should be equal. :) d2

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 10:03:28 pm »
I shake some extra bees in and never move them anywhere...

I think I am going to try this approach - I will move them to another location on my hive stand - about 6 feet away - facing the opposite direction of the parent hive and see what happens. 

Thank you for the advice.

David

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 09:20:01 pm »
I did move them across the yard (about 140 yards) and faced them in a completely different direction - this seemed to do the trick.  They didn't all go back to the parent hive and all seems ok.

I don't think I'm moving bees away from the yard again.

David

anything