Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ok or bad idea  (Read 1531 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
ok or bad idea
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:22:10 am »
I harvested a medium super of honey a week ago, my first harvest, using crush and strain.  Today I spread the wet cappings out on a few trays a couple hundred yards from the hives to let the bees clean it up and they just went wild.  There were probably 50 dead bees scattered about at night fall.   I know 50 dead bees is no biggie but is there any real risk to doing this?  Do I expose my hives to a large portion diseases and viruses?  Could this hurt them?  Basically is this ok.  I was expecting a bit of a frenzy over the cappings, but I've never seen so many bees cover anything outside of a swarm.  The trays were absolutely covered.  You couldn't even see the cappings other than when 5-10  were fighting a hunk off of the tray onto the ground.

As a side note it was really cool to watch.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: ok or bad idea
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:57:15 am »
not a problem at all, only time it could be bad is if you had a hive with signs of foul brood, as long as its all from your healthy hives don't worry about it, I put my capping's out every year along with my empty supers, no since in wasting it when the gals can use it and its also a very good way to clean the honey from your capping's  ;) .
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:03:20 am »
I do this too, just make sure they aren't too close to the hives, or the bees will go looking for other easy pickings :shock:.

They do get aggressive when cleaning the cappings up, and I've been stung if I get too close.  And it attracts all of the neighborhood wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, vespas, and other unsavory characters to your area.

I think I decided I'll do it earlier in the summer when there is a flow on, but during a dearth and in the fall...it is just too many flying bugs with stinger butts for me to bother with. 

You can do the same thing inside of a hive, just stick it on the top bars with a box overtop and make sure that there aren't any easy entrances, and they will clean it up good without the crazy bees flying around.

Rick
Rick

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:46:17 pm »
I do the same thing. This year I put some of the extracted frames in a hive.  Another super we harvested  I put the frames out away from the hives hanging in a deep box.  Surprisingly it was raining yesterday and the girls were working clean up very well.   

David

anything