Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pollen below the screened bottom board  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
pollen below the screened bottom board
« on: July 09, 2004, 12:07:29 am »
I have been using the screened bottom board without the insert in this warm weather. I have found quite a pile of pollen (and other droppings) under the screen. Could this pollen be frozen and saved for next spring?
Judy

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: pollen below the screened bottom board
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 01:03:52 am »
Quote from: Judy Frey
I have been using the screened bottom board without the insert in this warm weather. I have found quite a pile of pollen (and other droppings) under the screen. Could this pollen be frozen and saved for next spring?

You can dry it in the sun and store it in dry place or in plastic bag tightly. But there cant be moisture in the bag, be sure.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: pollen below the screened bottom board
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 01:23:01 am »
Quote from: Judy Frey
I have found quite a pile of pollen (and other droppings) under the screen.

BUT it would be a danger of diseases because bees keep clean their comps and all rubbish/dirt is with pollen. Bee is not a pig! It is very sensitive for diseases.

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 09:25:05 am »
Just getting rid of it may be the right thing. Seemed a waste to just brush it off.
Judy

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 12:56:48 pm »
Judy:

I too would toss it. I get about a 1/2 a pound of pollen on my cars throughout the year and I keep the cars very clean, still I would not scrap the pollen and save it - I've never found the bees to overly want pollen they have NOT collected themselves - although others have had better success at introducing pollen.

Of course the bees DID collect the pollen you  are speaking of, but there is a lot of crap at the bottom of the hive boxes and it just may be a waste of time for the young workers (who would most likely be gathering this pollen up) if placed back in the hive - they have plenty of other duties to do right up until late Fall.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.