Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tools for the cutout.  (Read 89905 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Tools for the cutout.
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 05:19:22 am »
For swarm collections in trees above 8 foot, I prefer a bucket on a pole to climbing a ladder while jugling everything.

You raise the bucket to the swarm, give it a little upwards jab to dislodge the bees then empty them into your waiting box. Much quicker too.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:04 am »
I saw another bucket on a pole idea the other day...........they used a 5 gallon plastic water carboy with the bottom cut off and pvc pipe used for the poles. Worked great in his video, let you see what was going on through the clear plastic.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 05:19:35 am »
Do you have a link to that video? Hear of swarm catching net as well. Was readying bamboo poles attached to 5 gallon planter pots but that idea sounds more stable. Also anyone try using a mirror reflected on swarm to lower w/ any success?
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 10:17:39 am »
Honey bee swarm capture using BEE BUCKET

Here is the link, it was just one of those swarms that worked out perfect for a catch.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 10:23:25 am »
Honey bee swarm capture using BEE BUCKET

Here is the link, it was just one of those swarms that worked out perfect for a catch.

G3

Very Nicely done!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 11:40:15 pm »
Do they sell anything like that in the catalogs that would work as well?? for G3 farms

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 02:01:42 am »
Im realy enjoying this subject.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 04:59:40 am »
Thanks G3 for the link. Thats a more stable design than my bamboo one. Will find materials to put one together soon.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2010, 03:38:11 pm »
Just to let you know that was not me nor was it my design. I just thought it was a good idea since you could see where the bees were in relation to the bucket.

Annette........yes there is something similar to this sold in catalogs, uses a 5 gallon bucket and some electrical conduit for the pole.

I think the handle in the video is made out of a wooden dowel for a closet rod with some pvc pipe fittings.

G3

here is a link to one, but I think for $30 and shipping you could build one much cheaper!!

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Hipps-Swarm-Retriever/productinfo/270/

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2010, 09:20:43 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 05:03:31 am »
Anyone here remove a hive from manholes? Seen these magnetic manhole removing tools but quite pricey:

Manhole Removing Tools

Might have to call the city Thursday to see if they will assist in helping lift manhole to rescue this new hive.

Cheers, David

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:23 am »
Anyone here remove a hive from manholes? Seen these magnetic manhole removing tools but quite pricey:

Manhole Removing Tools

Might have to call the city Thursday to see if they will assist in helping lift manhole to rescue this new hive.

Cheers, David

I work for a DPW we use crow bars. If it is city owe and you do not call the city you may go to jail  it may cost you  $$$$$  :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:37:34 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline beekeeper1756

• New Bee
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 07:22:28 pm »
My list of tools for doing a cutout would include the following:

1.  Power box to transfer power from my truck to the shop vac I use.
2.  Shop vac for sucking up the bees.
3.  Bee box that I made for holding the bees, vacuuming them up as I go, less bees to fight.
4.  Battery operated Saws-All with extra battery fully charged.  Had one go down on me on a cutout once and stopped everything.
5.  Pry bar.
6.  Saw horses, and 8 ft. of 1x10 plank.  Great for setting the bee box and shop vac on when doing the cutout.
7.  Baby wipes, to wipe all the nectar and honey off as we go.  It's a messy process.
8.  Medium box with at least 2 frames of brood and 2 frames of honey or nectar.  I used to do just foundation but have found out that using the frames of brood and honey calms the bees down over night.  By the next morning, when I have the bees, they are all busy at work with a job to do, covering the frames of brood and honey, transfer was a dream.  I learned this on my last cutout, sadly not the first or life would have been so much easier.
9.  Something very cold to drink with a straw has saved me on so many cutouts.  In my full beesuit, I get so overheated.  By using a straw in my drink, I'm able to slightly unzip my suit just far enough to stick the straw thru and get a good drink.  Saved me so many times.  When temps are in the high 90s or low 100s, it's hot.
10.  Extension cord to transfer power from the box to the shop vac.
11.  Jumper Battery cables to get power from the battery to the power inverter.

Anyway, that's my basic list.  Feel free to add to the list.

Good luck.

P.S. Being a new beek, doing cutouts has surely been an excellent way to add to the number of my hives.  I always try to get some of the honey back to the landowner who gave me permission to tear up some building or structure to get at the bees.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 03:14:55 pm »
A tool that I find useful is an angled scraper that can be found in the paint dept. It has a handle that screws onto a paint roller extension pole. Short sections of extension pole and this scraper can reach back into cavities for comb removal. Another is a hook (monster hook) available from the big box stores that clips onto your belt for hanging drills and saws from. Sure is handy 30' up a ladder. While on the subject of ladders, the louisville protop ladders have a top similar to those on a step ladder attached to the top of the fly section. This top piece also has non marking rubber inserts that rest against the walls plus a conrner cutout for corner or pole work. All in all this is a very handy addition to the ladder as a place to hold tools while working. It only comes on their fiberglass ladders up to 28'.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

bigbearomaha

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2010, 09:03:07 pm »
 :lol:  Oh man, I am SO gonna make me one of those pole buckets.  looks easy enough.  cut bottom off a water bottle and a wood/pvc pole at the neck..

why don't I ever think of those cool things?

Big Bear

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:04 am »
Regarding manholes: stay out of them! They may contain electrical equipment, sewage, toxic/flammable/explosive gases, etc. Not to mention they are classified as a confined space. We on the fire dept. don't even go in them! No bee colony is worth a trip to the hospital or morgue! :'(

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2011, 10:43:20 am »
Not to mention a man hole and the pipe line is private property owned by the sewer, water, electric, telephone, etc., etc. company. They can impose a fine/jail time for messing with them

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 07:32:36 pm »
The Multi-tool I have come to realize is a Godsend for anyone performing removals where wood of any type needs to be cut. It has virtually eliminated the need for a Rotozip and my Sawzall doesn't get much play anymore either. Great for cutting sheetrock as well. Not too good on plaster though.

The multi-tool should really be added to the main list IMO.

I purchased one from Harbor Freight for about $39.00, regular price is $59.00. Found them on sale within the last year for $29.00 and bought two more but still using the first one.

Can't beat it for the price, fantastic tool folks!

http://www.harborfreight.com/multifunction-power-tool-67256.html

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 12:43:21 am »
FYI, that same tool is on sale online for $39.99
but today I received their paper with a coupon for only $29.99. Limit only 5 but you probably only need one unless you do more cutouts than JP.  :-D

Offline Mike Tuggle

• New Bee
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 12:18:36 am »
 :? Re: the Harbor Freight tool... a question for JP or anyone using this for cut-outs.  HF sells an additional blade kit for ~$10.  Do we need that or are the included blades good enough for wallboard and the usual 1/4" soffet panel?

Thanks!

anything