Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wedge frame  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Wedge frame
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:34:25 pm »
I use wedge frames for foundationless.  I have never used foundation and have what may be a silly question.  I have always ready that Groove top was for plastic foundation and wedge was for beeswax foundation.  Is there any reason I cant use wedge frames with plastic foundation?  It seems to me that there is no good reason why I can't do it this way, but wanted to see what others think before I invest the time and money.  Who knows maybe there's something I am missing.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Wedge frame
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:14:24 am »
Wedge tops should work but what about the bottom bar?  Is it split, flat or grooved?  THat makes a huge difference too!  There is no Board of Compatibility!  Different producers make things slightly different sizes.  It is best to always ask the producer and good to get both foundation and frames from the same place and have them tell you it will work!  It is safer that way

Offline jim81147

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:16:16 am »
Sorry but I cant answer your question although I am sure someone will soon . I wanted to ask you though what is prompting you to use a foundation instead of continuing to go foundationless?
If my bee's can survive me , Varroa doesn't stand a chance !!!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:47:04 am »
When you use a wedge top bar with plastic foundation you will end up with 2 minor problems. The first is that many wedge tops are about a 1/16" too short. I just run the plastic through my joiner to make it fit or use a frame clearer to cut the grove deeper. The other problem is the wood strip is designed for thin wax not thick plastic. After it is installed the wood strip sticks out and blocks the space along the top of the top board. The easy fix is to pull out your knife and trim it off.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:24:50 am »
Sorry but I cant answer your question although I am sure someone will soon . I wanted to ask you though what is prompting you to use a foundation instead of continuing to go foundationless?

I will be starting 8 packages and as I get closer to delivery date I am wondering if I should put some at an out apiary.  There will be less risk of fudge ups if I use some foundation mixed in with my foundationless.  Still going to use primarily foundationless, but a few sheets of foundation won't hurt anything.

I get all of my equipment from Mann lake.  I am asking because I am looking to make a purchase of frames.  Most would be foundationless and some would be using their rite cell plastic foundation.  It's cheaper to buy frames by the 100.  I am not looking to buy much more than that however.  The frames are wedge top and groove bottom.  Maybe Mann lake would be willing to sell me 80 wedge and 20 grove, but still at the discounted price. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline jim81147

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:04:39 pm »
If only needing a few and buying from Mann Lake , you might consider just buying 10 of the pf-120 . That is what Michael Bush recommends for frame foundation when using it and it is frame and foundation . Just a thought.
If my bee's can survive me , Varroa doesn't stand a chance !!!

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »
i use wax foundation with grooved top and grooved bottom frames....
Marshall

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:00:39 pm »
If only needing a few and buying from Mann Lake , you might consider just buying 10 of the pf-120 . That is what Michael Bush recommends for frame foundation when using it and it is frame and foundation . Just a thought.

I honestly have no idea what sized cells my bees build and those Pf 120 frames are small cell.  I don't know anything about small cell beekeeping, but from what I understand your bees  need to slowly be brought down to those frames.  Maybe I am wrong I don't know, but if I assemble my own frames and add the foundation myself I save cash, which I am a fan of.  I have never blown out a frame so I am inclined to continue buying unassembled frames. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:01:29 pm »
I bought some foundationless frame from Kelleybees that I really like. Only down side is had to pay shipping. But could hurt to check them out. They are the F style frames.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:54:41 pm »
I live very close to Mann lake.  So I am going to continue to use Mann lake.  I have been very satisfied with their service. The wedge frames work great as foundationless frames.  No issues there.  My big thing is that I want to buy around 100 frames and I want to put plastic foundation in around 20 of them.  It sounds like there may be some issues with wedge frames and plastic foundation.  So i wont rock the boat.  I sent them an email.  Will see if they will allow me to keep the 100 price with 80 wedge and 20 groove top.  If not then I will simply have to buy 100 wedge and 20 groove top.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:38 am »
You are very lucky living close to a supplier. The nearest to me is a 2 and a half drive here in Georgia. So I guess I am stuck with mail order.  Oh well.

Good Luck.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."