Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I need a little bit of advise......please  (Read 3460 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
I need a little bit of advise......please
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:02:14 pm »
I have a package that I hived on March 30 of this year. Lots of brood, lots of bees, lots of pollen, very little honey, and three undrawn frames (untouched). Some of the other frames that are in use are not fully drawn. The hive is located at a commercial tree farm. The Magnolias and Crape Myrtles are blooming. The only water source is the drip and sprinkler system at the tree farm. It is EXTREMELY dry here in Georgia.
Do I need to start feeding them again? Should I put on a feeder with just water?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: I need a little bit of advise......please
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:49:57 pm »
I wouldn't start feeding them again.  If there is nectar available, they would most likely ignore the syrup anyway.   If you want to give them a feeder with water for your own piece of mind it wouldn't hurt, but if there is drip irrigation they will most like go to that anyway.  When I was doing a lot of hydroponic growing,  the bees would go there over anything else, I think they liked it because of the nutrients in the water.

Sounds like they are doing fine.  They will draw out the rest of the frames as they need then.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:44:28 am »
If your lucky and have any Mamosa trees they're in bloom. But it will be a while before the Kudzu blooms.
Elder berries are also blooming. If you have any in your area.
doak

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:50:38 am »
At Young Harris, one of the honey show winners had entered kudzu honey and it was PURPLE!

Linda T in Natchez MS for the weekend

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 02:03:01 am »
sounds to me as if the bee have put the majority of their efforts into growing bodies to help with the work.  Once the brood hatches you should see much more activity, the resumption of comb building and an increase in stores.  It is not uncommon for swarms and packaged bees to build up in steps like that.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 02:28:05 am »
Most say don't expect much if any honey the first year on a package with no drawn comb.
I was lucky to have drawn comb on my two swarms and both were big to "LARGE". two supers of one three from the other. Don't think this would happen with a 3lb package even with drawn comb.
I have never put in a package, but from what I can gather they are more stressed than a swarm.
You first year'ers calm down, don't get disapointed if you don't get much if any honey.
Gain the knowledge, and be ready for next year.
For those who have only one colony, try to get at least one more, two more would be even better. Then if you lose one you will still be in business.
Good night and God Bless.
doak

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 09:00:13 am »
I remember reading in one of the bee mags that bees will only take necter from the white or a light color crepe martha.

In central MS we need rain to keep the necter flow going.  It was reported in parts of MS, that it has about stop due to the lack of rain.
Chuck and Fran

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 11:49:50 am »
I have a package that I hived on March 30 of this year. Lots of brood, lots of bees, lots of pollen, very little honey, and three undrawn frames (untouched). Some of the other frames that are in use are not fully drawn. The hive is located at a commercial tree farm. The Magnolias and Crape Myrtles are blooming. The only water source is the drip and sprinkler system at the tree farm. It is EXTREMELY dry here in Georgia.
Do I need to start feeding them again? Should I put on a feeder with just water?

Steve

what kinda frames and foundation are you using? sounds like my hives when I used pierco plastic, I had some frames go 3 years without being drawn out, I have since removed the undrawn plastic and installed wood and wax and never had this problem again, bee's will find water even if they have to fly a mile or so, they should find a leaky faucet or soak er hose water if it is there.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 12:48:43 pm »
At Young Harris, one of the honey show winners had entered kudzu honey and it was PURPLE!

Linda T in Natchez MS for the weekend
Smurf Food!  :-D  We heard about it when we were down in Georgia.  Kudzu honey is purple/blue and smells like grape kool-aid, I guess.  Some people bottle it and sell it at fairs as Smurf Food.  I thought that was neat.

The smell of grape kool-aid is not all that uncommon in the plant world.  My neighbor has a lovely light purple iris blooming right now that smells of it, and the honey locust trees are blooming now around here, they smell of it also (although it's not as pronounced as in that iris).

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 05:39:05 pm »
TwT, I am using Perco on wood frames. I have another package that was hived on the same day. They have drawn all the fames. (same foundation) It has less brood and is packed with honey. I will just leave them alone, they will draw it when they are ready.

Smurf Food................I have a new hive that is near a large kudzu patch. I have lived in Georgia all my life and I never knew kudzo bloomed!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 10:09:58 am »
Ann, didn't realize the Iris' had a scent.  Mine are coming into bloom now, I must go out and check out that scent.  Love the garden scent.  The night-scented stock are beginning to open their blooms in the evenings now, not too much scent yet, but in another week, wow!!!!  I can't wait!!!  Have the wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 07:59:43 pm »
Cindi, I don't know if all light purple iris smell.  The variegated Iris pallida has the scent, also.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 08:43:37 am »
The hive I talked about with the start of this thread has jumped into high gear since we have received some rain. In just two weeks time, they have finished drawing the frames and the queen has really been busy. Seven out of the ten deep frames are loaded with brood. With the next week, this hive will EXPLODE with new bees. I added a super so they will have additional room. Should I consider a split?

Steve

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:55:50 am »
I would add a deep for the second brood box and then a medium for honey. I wouldn't split,  Unless you want another colony and don,t  care for much of a honey harvest.
Your bees, your call.
doak