Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee haviour  (Read 2093 times)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Bee haviour
« on: September 11, 2006, 07:03:06 pm »
I have been getting my hives ready for winter slowly, taking off suppers and extracting, reducing entrances to a few inches wide.  The other day I took a super off of my smaller hive, reducing it to two deep brood boxes.  I was going to look farther down, but came across frames of brood in the second box.  I took the super back to let them clean it and found LOTS of bees at the entrance.  Hovering as if they were traffic jammed to get in. I thought it might be robbing, so I took a closer look, but saw no fighting, and A LOT (15) of bees with butts in the air spreading nasanov scent.  LOTS of the bees were bringing in pollen.  I added the extracted super and left them as I have to get to work.  Any ideas about what this all about?

Offline John Quixote

• New Bee
    • http://www.sixblindsheep.com
Bee haviour
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 07:47:51 pm »
If you are removing supers, I have been told that "bearding" (bees hanging around the entrance, looks like a beard on the hive) is a common occurance as the population is driven into a smaller space.
John Quixote

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee haviour
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:16:34 pm »
Any disruption of a hive sets off nasanoving.  It's just the bees response to regroup.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Bee haviour
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 12:45:47 am »
Orientation flights of your latest over-winter bees?

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)