Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Strange odor coming from hive  (Read 2274 times)

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
Strange odor coming from hive
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:48:25 pm »
I have one colony thats putting out a very distinct odor as soon as I lift the inner cover. It's kind of like a rubbing alchohol/sweet aroma.  There is honey left from the winter and new brood and larva.  Any thoughts on wierd smells?

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Strange odor coming from hive
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:51:08 pm »
I have one colony thats putting out a very distinct odor as soon as I lift the inner cover. It's kind of like a rubbing alchohol/sweet aroma.  There is honey left from the winter and new brood and larva.  Any thoughts on wierd smells?

Gary,

Of course, you'd want to be aware of:
Sulfur-like smells: that's likely American Foulbrood (AFG).
Sour-like smells, that could be EFB.

Does it "stink" or is it more some strange smell?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:11:23 pm »
If I don't smoke them, I smell the alarm pheremones when I open the cover... could it be that?  Not really sweet, not banana but a spicy smell.

Other than that it could be old honey in there that is fermenting and the bees haven't cleared it out yet.  Sometimes the outside frames will be full of honey but not covered with bees and ferment just a bit.
Rick

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:18:55 pm »
Really not a foul odor but very strong.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »
How many hives do you have?  Is this one acting differently?  I could be something they're getting into (old soda in trash bins).
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »
5 hives...the only one that smells.   Haven't used smoke either time I inspected.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:36:46 am »
spicy smell? like... cajun seasoning? spicy steak rub? I've smelled that smell, usually in hives that are weaker in population, in late fall into spring. I am thinking it's a smell of some kind of fungus maybe? Usually on darker combs, and the combs have a white glaze or dusty look to them. Smells like spice. It's not foul brood or fermented honey, if you have the same I've noticed.

I noticed it in one hive here, extended periods of bad weather, hive full of spotty brood but empty of stores. They've been using all they bring in to build up, then the weather turns bad and they stress for lack of nectar with lots of brood. I squirted honey across the top bars and the weather turned better for a week. I checked back and the smell is almost gone and the stores are now coming in again. But the brood pattern is very spotty so I'll be using this hive as resource for making up nucs to add Qcells from my better queens. Not sure what the smell is, but I'm suspecting a fungus or something from colder moist weather with old combs in weaker hives.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:36:35 am »
It could be fermentation from your description. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.