Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Georgetown, Ontario, Canada  (Read 2855 times)

Offline binglis

• New Bee
Hello from Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
« on: November 08, 2006, 06:05:36 am »
I am new to beekeeping and have one hive I started in May of this year (2006). It went very well, as I was able to harvest honey, of exceptional grade, as per a friend who had family in the business for years (beginners luck, I told him...). I am on a 42 acre farm that is not blessed with fruit trees (yet...), nor an overabundance of flowers. I am not sure where the bees go to "do their thing".
Anyways, I enjoy the forum, and am looking to add another hive in the spring (maybe two). Is there any seperation distance between hives, that is recommended? I have my one hive on a 4' x 4' hardwood skid, and there is room for another on that skid (it would be very close to the existing hive (less than a foot away)). Is that too close, and are there problems with a setup like that...
Thanking you in Advance,
Bob

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Hello from Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 07:26:01 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum Bingis. I am sure you will have no trouble with a setup like that. Many beeyards have the  hives set up that way. If you get one colony with a low bee count you can switch location with each other and help the weaker colony as some of the bees may migrate to the box in the old location.Be sure to stop by often and if you get the chance ckeck out the voice chat forum about the ventrilo chat program and drop in and say hello!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:24:24 am »
Welcome Aboard and surely with proper planting techniques for your 42 acres and the help of honeybees, your property should be fruitful and multiply in just a few seasons. As Buzzbee said, pallet stacking is very acceptable, most migratory pollination keepers stack them this way for both easy moving and for marking and tracking data purposes.

Enjoy the forum and best wishes into the 2007 Spring season, sounds you like are making good and sound decisions.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 01:45:40 pm »
Welcome.  objects, color, numbers, and letters off sufficient size are all things that helpo mark an individual hive and seperate it from the others when hives are placed in close proximity.  Hive can be set abutting one another and if different colored landing boards (for instance--and my primary method) are used the bees can clue on that to return to the proper hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 08:51:38 pm »
>Is there any seperation distance between hives, that is recommended?

Mine are all touching each other.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:58:16 am »
    Mine share cinder blocks.  Welcome and glad to hear from ya!

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything