Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: does 'no pollen' = 'no Penelope' ...  (Read 1973 times)

Offline GeezzzBeezzz

• New Bee
does 'no pollen' = 'no Penelope' ...
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:34:14 pm »
I had a chance to watch my hive at lunchtime today and there wasn't much activity. It was gray and there were light sprinkles every hour or two throughout the day.
While I watched some of the brave bees who decided to venture out - coming back home - I didn't notice any pollen on their hind legs.
I counted only one bee with pollen returning to the hive.
Is this a bad sign? I read on this forum somewhere that pollen was a sign the queen was laying eggs because the larva need to be fed bee-bread (a mixture of pollen and nectar).
If I don't see pollen going in, is there a chance Penelope (the name of my queen) might be no more?
I don't want to open the hive to check because of the weather ... with more rain in the forecast.
Any thoughts.
Tart words make no friends; a spoonful or honey will catch more flies than a gallon of vinegar.
~ Benjamin Franklin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: does 'no pollen' = 'no Penelope' ...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:38:05 am »
they bring in what's out there and they find different stuff at different times of the day.  pollen might be an indicator of brood rearing, but don't panic if you don't see it going in every time.  check when the weather is better.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GeezzzBeezzz

• New Bee
Re: does 'no pollen' = 'no Penelope' ...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:52 am »
Kathy you were right. I checked today - during better weather - and they seemed to be bringing in some pollen. thanks.
Tart words make no friends; a spoonful or honey will catch more flies than a gallon of vinegar.
~ Benjamin Franklin

anything