Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to hive my package- Hiving in the rain?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
When to hive my package- Hiving in the rain?
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:51:50 pm »
I have my first package of bees coming this Friday, April 2.  The bees will be packaged up on Thursday, April 1 and delivered Friday and we can pick them up after 5 pm.  It's about a 30 minute drive from where I pick up the bees back to my house.

We are suppose to be having a big rain storm on Friday.

Question:
Do I hive the package Friday night if it's raining or really cold( they are expecting snow on the foothills tonight(Tues)?  I'm picking up the package with 2 other people and they said they are planning on hiving their packages that Friday night rain or shine.

I absolutely don't mind hiving them in the rain if it's better for the bees to be in the hive sooner than later.  I could set up some kind of rain shelter to hive the packages so the bees don't get wet.

It suppose to rain Saturday also.

Thanks,

Julie

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: When to hive my package- Hiving in the rain?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »
Mix sugar water in a spray bottle and spray the screen to feed them until it is dry and above 50F. Keep them in a dark closet or similar.Your friends may well lose most of their bees if they can't get to the feeder in time to produce the heat needed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:03:10 pm »
The nice thing is they don't fly so much.  I've hived them in the rain, the snow etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:09:10 pm »
So as long as it's over 50 degrees you'd hive?  Don't worry about the rain?  It's a 3 lb package and I'm putting it in a deep with foundationless frames with small cell( 4.9) starter strips. 

Thanks,
Julie

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:22:36 pm »
i have hived packages and swarms in 40s degree weather and rain.

just be all set up, dump them in, close them up.  if you still have bees in the cage, set it at the entrance and put a board or something to protect from the rain.  by morning they will have marched in.  i like a jar feeder over the inner cover with an extra box to cover.
remember you'll need room for your queen cage.  make that space before hand.  one less thing to mess with when you have a package of bees to deal with.
they'll be fine.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:26:59 pm »
Thank You