Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A new way of protecting bees against varroa mites  (Read 7809 times)

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
A new way of protecting bees against varroa mites
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:30:40 am »
A new way of protecting bees against varroa mites with a pollen comb delivery system 

http://beecare.bayer.com/media-center/news/news-detail/a-new-way-of-protecting-bees-against-varroa-mites

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: A new way of protecting bees against varroa mites
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:46 pm »
It is hard not to go full blown Luddite like some, but I am inclined to have a healthy skepticism about this.  I think we are winning now.  Natural selection, organic oils and acids are getting the job done without possibly long lasting synthetic chemicals.  On the other hand, this as a tool might lower the amount of varroa out there to re infect my hobby apiary.  I don't have to use it if I don't want to.

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 09:03:14 pm »
It is hard not to go full blown Luddite like some, but I am inclined to have a healthy skepticism about this.  I think we are winning now.  Natural selection, organic oils and acids are getting the job done without possibly long lasting synthetic chemicals.  On the other hand, this as a tool might lower the amount of varroa out there to re infect my hobby apiary.  I don't have to use it if I don't want to.
I too think this might be a good tool for saving the hive [which is the most important thing] but I wonder if the poison would carry into the end product, and how healthy could that be?

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:15:42 am »
Most likely they shouldn't bee used under a honey flow.

mvh Edward  :-P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:18:41 pm by edward »

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:13:41 pm »
they are not avalibe yet... it was just an idea.  hasn't gone anywhere yet to my knowledge...  I looked for some... intersting idea.  flea and tick collar design for bees.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:50:43 pm »
It's not for me.
I'm chemical free.
The best defence
is the genetic bee.
 :-D
I think this is the only poem, i you can call it that, that I have ever written.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 06:01:15 pm »
Well your rhyme is fine, but the theory is not too hot....

Bet you money when you count your bees  you lose a lot...

(not as good at rhyming)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:55:05 pm »
Are you really going to trust a chemical company like bayer  :?  If you really look at this  is almost a year old how come I don't see it in any of the bee magazines if it really works ?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 10:10:09 am »
trust Bayer?  heck yea.......   next time you get a headache,  see how well tinfoil does at curing it.

No its not available.   it was a writer,  picking up an interesting piece about something they were working on.    Not sure if they are even still working on it.
Given the choices of dead bees, or some of the chems we now use. it seems like a interesting application method.

Sitting here waiting on all the other great ideas,  just aint cutting it.   whats your plan??  selectivly letting most of your bees die isn't working.....

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
Re: A new way of protecting bees against varroa mitesi
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:54 pm »
trust Bayer?  heck yea.......   next time you get a headache,  see how well tinfoil does at curing it.

No its not available.   it was a writer,  picking up an interesting piece about something they were working on.    Not sure if they are even still working on it.
Given the choices of dead bees, or some of the chems we now use. it seems like a interesting application method.

Sitting here waiting on all the other great ideas,  just aint cutting it.   whats your plan??  selectivly letting most of your bees die isn't working.....

well what have you tried in the past ???

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 01:42:07 pm »
spent 5 years and a lot of money on the TF line....

Useing brood breaks and OZ vapor from now on.  getting to high priced to keep replacing bees.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 09:01:48 pm »
spent 5 years and a lot of money on the TF line....

Useing brood breaks and OZ vapor from now on.  getting to high priced to keep replacing bees.
Maybe it is time to let the bees figure it out. Bees have survived for about 250 million years without us. Instead of buying bees from beeks that keep treating them, find someone who raises them without treating them. You might be surprised. Or remove bees from hives in homes that are surviving on there own.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 01:47:31 pm »
great idea...   lets forget about honey and production and just ignore them they will be fine.....

Done the locals, and the cutouts  and the "survivor" hives....  guess what.  it doesn't work.....  there are a few guys claiming it dose.  but what do you know they won't sell stock...  seen every excuse out there from no time,  to I don't know how to make queens..... one or tow of them may be legitimate,  most are baseless claims.

But  I digress,  leaving them alone and hopeing is not a stragey if you actual strive to generate surplus and crops every year....  if you want a few hives in your yard... Knock yourself out....  Do what you like.....

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 06:18:31 pm »
There is some talk about survivor stock, wild survivor hives

A few years ago the found the Holly Grail survivor beehive in a Church steeple in Scotland that by the way they wrote it up was older than Noahs ark.

I hope that there is a thing as survivor hives with better genetics but without Controls and checks how can you know that its the same hive?

They could have swarmed away or died and a new swarm has taken over an old wild hive.

Its imposible to know :roll:

mvh Edward  :-P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:48:28 pm by edward »

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 07:25:34 pm »
yes we tried the Bio control on our citrus trees they haven't recovered yet 5 years and counting.

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 01:27:57 pm »
Sam Comfort sells bees and queens and is completely treatment free.
http://anarchyapiaries.org/

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 01:59:41 pm »
Won't say the delivery system doesn't have possibilities!  I'd like to be able to choose what substance to use, but it's not so different than asking bees to crawl through holes so we can collect pollen, or going through a mouse guard. 

Just not thrilled about rubbing the chemicals on the bees then asking them to take that chemical into the hive.  What's the difference in that?  I can do that now but putting the chemicals in myself.  Don't need a fancy schmancy new delivery system for that.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 08:50:27 pm »
I do it with a q-tip and paint every last one

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 10:49:40 pm »

Hey all,

I'm entering a contest to be able to present the honeybee research I'm working on to a much larger audience. The winners are judged on scientific accuracy, number of views, and video production. Share away. Thanks!

Preventing honeybee decline: Ashlee Robison's ACS #ChemChamps Entry

Meet Ashlee Robison. Ashlee is a senior Chemistry major, and with the video below she has entered the...
http://youtu.be/FOwnfwsW3BQ

YouTube

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 10:54:37 pm »

Hey all,

I'm entering a contest to be able to present the honeybee research I'm working on to a much larger audience. The winners are judged on scientific accuracy, number of views, and video production. Share away. Thanks!

Preventing honeybee decline: Ashlee Robison's ACS #ChemChamps Entry

Meet Ashlee Robison. Ashlee is a senior Chemistry major, and with the video below she has entered the...
http://youtu.be/FOwnfwsW3BQ

YouTube

Does anyone here know anymore about this then what I have posted ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »
"I'm from Bayer and I'm here to help..."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 11:48:06 pm »
"I'm from Bayer and I'm here to help..."

Michael Bush......

More alike I'm from the government and I'm here to help you with your pollinators and honey bees.

BEE HAPPY Jim134 :)

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 11:41:59 pm »
I know from experience if it's not a USDA or State approved chemical for varroa mites I'm staying away from it.
I raise and sell bees and queens, and have to be inspected every 90 days.
I put something in there that's not approved and they'll shut me down quick.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 01:27:02 pm »
Ashlee Robisin's research sounds promising. I don't like the idea of chemicals at all in anything I eat or feed my family. My animals are my family also. I agree with Jim in the chemical free idea of raising bees. If the Asian bees have lived with this mite maybe that's what we need to look at. Just a thought. Perhaps it's been looked at. If so, please excuse my ignorance.

anything