Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: frames half filled with honey  (Read 2416 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
frames half filled with honey
« on: March 08, 2006, 10:20:53 am »
i had 3 hive not make it thru the winter and each has maybe 5 half filled frames of honey...what do i do with it? i don't need the frmaes for feeding the 2 hives that made it and it seems like too little honey to extact...i need advice becuase the comb look pretty good.
fyi, i lost the hives to mites...the surviving hives are looking good and strong.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 10:48:15 am »
When it is time to put on honey super, put those honey frames in the middle of brood area. If you give them during bad weather bees consume part of honey.

First tear open wax cappings.

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 11:51:37 am »
i don't have storage for the frames...any suggestions on how or where i keep them for a few months?

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 03:51:27 pm »
you could put them in the freezer.

Or just shove them into a spare hive body

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Re: frames half filled with honey
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 08:03:23 am »
Quote from: filmmlif
i had 3 hive not make it thru the winter and each has maybe 5 half filled frames of honey...what do i do with it? i don't need the frmaes for feeding the 2 hives that made it and it seems like too little honey to extact...i need advice becuase the comb look pretty good.
fyi, i lost the hives to mites...the surviving hives are looking good and strong.

If there is nothing obviously wrong with the frames of honey I would put them on the stack adove the excluder, if you use one. You are close to seeing the end of the cold weather in your area and soon the nectar gathering period will be in full swing.

I left two medium supers with some half filled frames of honey overwinter and they are fine. The bees should continue filling the comb. Actually our winter has been almost non-existant this year and nectar gathering is going on as we speak, where I live.

The mites are not in the honey supers, I don't think?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 11:09:05 am »
Quote from: Jack Parr
The bees should continue filling the comb.

I suppose that honey is crystallized. No idea to excract them.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 09:25:37 pm »
Quote from: Finsky
Quote from: Jack Parr
The bees should continue filling the comb.

I suppose that honey is crystallized. No idea to excract them.

:?:  If the honey is crystallized, what do you do with it?

I have some frames with some nectar, uncapped, in the cells however I did not really check to see if in fact it is crystallized. We don't have the cold weather as you do.