Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Vancouver Isand  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Dee

• New Bee
Greetings from Vancouver Isand
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »
Just checking in to say hello from another newbie to bees.

Beekeeping is my husband's new hobby and I'm just tagging along for the ride. I've been surprised at how much the little critters have caught my attention. This forum is a great resource for the new beekeepers.

Dee

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
Re: Greetings from Vancouver Isand
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:51 am »
Welcome to the forum!
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:10:40 am »
Welcome to the forum, Dee.  This site does have a lot of thread and videos that can help.  See if you have a local bee club it will also help.  And check out you tube and various other sites on the web.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline Dee

• New Bee
Re: Greetings from Vancouver Island
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:43 pm »
Joe
Good advice thanks

Last winter before we had any bees we went on a bee information crusade. Starting with two local and close to us beekeepers as mentors then the local club and reading books. We spent hours on the internet, you tube, this site and many others trying to learn as much as we could before the bees arrived.

We started with two packages from New Zealand. Regardless of how much you try to learn before there is always more to learn once you have the bees and we have been learning lots.

First lesson learned it does not matter that we are supposed to live in one of the milder climates in Canada. Mother nature does not care that we are new bee keepers. Last March when it should be mild spring weather it was cold wet and lots of snow, the bees arrived during this time. One of the packages did not survive probably because of inexperience. The package that survived has been going strong and very successful. Our next challenge is to over winter them.

Dee

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:22:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 08:58:24 am »
Welcome to beemaster Dee.

anything