Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newby with a queston- extra place in a 8 frame box  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Ibmerlin

• New Bee
Newby with a queston- extra place in a 8 frame box
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:27:05 pm »
I started to build my 8 frame hives and after building all the boxes I started on the frames. After I filled the first box I notices that there is almost enough room for a 9th frame. Is this right? With all the extra space wouldn't the bees fill the space with unwanted comb?

Thanks in advance

Merlin

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Newby with a queston- extra place in a 8 frame box
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 06:13:59 pm »
That is right, you just insert the frames & maneuver so they are the same distance from each side.  If you goof like I did & put the side of the box w/hand indentation facing in, not out like you are supposed to they will build comb in that space!  I use those (2)for brood boxes cause I'm not having to lift them all the time.  I've also heard you can shave the end pieces & fit 9 in there but how would they get onto the top of the frames to get to the next box? :?  Someone more knowledgable than me will have better answers!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:33:37 pm »
There is, almost.  So I shave a hair off of then end bars of the frames and put nine in.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:05:56 am »
There is, almost.  So I shave a hair off of then end bars of the frames and put nine in.

So your 8 frame hives are really 9 frame hives.  I was just having the exact same experience as Ibmerlin and had been on that page on your site, but I didn't pick up on using 9 frames. 

I'm assuming then that the wall frames having half as much bee space on the ends with the hive so full of frames isn't an issue.

I'm so convinced by your site (obvious personal experience backed up by references to other authorities) that I'm implementing your scheme pretty much entire - "8" frame mediums for everything, plain beveled wood starters with no foundation or waxing at all, top entrances, let it work, etc...

Thanks for a great resource. Wish me luck.

Dave
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:00:22 pm »
>So your 8 frame hives are really 9 frame hives.

Mostly.  Some are 8.  Just push them to the middle and leave the gap on the outside edges.

>  I was just having the exact same experience as Ibmerlin and had been on that page on your site, but I didn't pick up on using 9 frames.

You don't have to.  I just like to:

>I'm assuming then that the wall frames having half as much bee space on the ends with the hive so full of frames isn't an issue.

If you shave them down to 1 1/4" the ends will have a full beespace.

If you shave them down to only 1 5/16 maybe not.

I'm so convinced by your site (obvious personal experience backed up by references to other authorities) that I'm implementing your scheme pretty much entire - "8" frame mediums for everything, plain beveled wood starters with no foundation or waxing at all, top entrances, let it work, etc...

Thanks for a great resource. Wish me luck.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin