Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bee Colony Removed From Fallen Sycamore Tree  (Read 8355 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Honey Bee Colony Removed From Fallen Sycamore Tree
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 12:10:44 am »
pack up one of those redfish and send him my way.  :-D Man do I love a good redfish baked with just a little lemon butter. wish I was at the coast to go fishing for the type fish I love to eat.

john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 12:33:57 am »
Redfish on the half shell is hard to beat & so many ways to season 'em!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 01:00:27 am »
Boy that was a monster tree to cut, but you did such a great job JP. Loved watching them leave the tree. So you removed all the combs?
Then you used the smoke and beequick??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:25 pm »
Annette, I removed most all the comb, then smoked them from the cavity towards/in the set up. After they had all exited I used some bee quick to keep them out of the cavity.

I realized there was some more honey comb inside a void that was running the left side of the tree (my left as I'm facing the new set up from the backside of the tree) which I cut out after dark. Once this pocket was opened I was able to remove what comb was left.

Incidentally there were about a thousand more bees in that section of the tree that I had to combine with the majority of the bees that were already in the new set up. (which btw, I had already sealed and placed in my truck.)

I had to take the set up from the truck, place the hive back onto the tree and allow the remaining bees to enter the hive.

I left to go home around ten o'clock that night.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 05:38:14 pm »
john and coon##; i ant fo munching on something you gota burn (blackned) to get it where you can eat it
sure looking forward to seing you 2 suckers driving in buddie, river came uo might have flushed out that duck weed
to bee or not to bee

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:58 pm »
Impressive tree JP.  Zacheus would have a good view.  What do you do with all the beehives you collect? 

Lone

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 12:41:22 am »
Annette, I removed most all the comb, then smoked them from the cavity towards/in the set up. After they had all exited I used some bee quick to keep them out of the cavity.

I realized there was some more honey comb inside a void that was running the left side of the tree (my left as I'm facing the new set up from the backside of the tree) which I cut out after dark. Once this pocket was opened I was able to remove what comb was left.

Incidentally there were about a thousand more bees in that section of the tree that I had to combine with the majority of the bees that were already in the new set up. (which btw, I had already sealed and placed in my truck.)

I had to take the set up from the truck, place the hive back onto the tree and allow the remaining bees to enter the hive.

I left to go home around ten o'clock that night.

...JP

WOW!! A lot of work for sure but very successful.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 12:54:02 am »
Lone, the hives go to either one of my several bee yards or to Emil or Schawee's yards.

Annette, it was a good bit of work but lots of fun.

...JP

anything